Ootake 0.58 released

Robert
    By Robert,

PCE/TG16 emulator

2006/08/01 0.58 released

- The turbo button (auto fire) function was added. It can be set by "Input" menu (the second menu from the right).

- The bug for "Processing to lose the noise of ADPCM (v0.57)" is corrected, and tone quality has been improved.

- The bug that "Gekisha Boy" doesn't start (It is generated by v0.57) was corrected.

- The image of the short cut icon was redrawn a little.

>> Get it HERE.

PSPMaster 0.0.3 released

Robert
    By Robert,

[bo]Trops has released a Sega Master System emulator for the PSP

v0.0.3b:

- Fixed a bug in the Master System background render code.

- Fixed a bug in the state files.

- Fixed a Game Gear screen shot bug.

- User can select the language file from the main menu.

- Start to rewrite render routines in assembly to gain some speed. Function Render_UpdateBgCache() done.

v0.0.2b:

- Game Gear emulation is ok.

- Some speed optimizations.

- The analog button can be used as the SMS DButton.

- Fixed a sound bug.

- Options menu.

- Screen shots in gif format.

- Language file suport.

- Suport for YM2413 sound chip, but emulation became slow when enabled.

v0.0.1b:

- First public version.

- Emulator is running at full speed without frame skiping.

- YM2413 sound chip is not emulated yet.

- No options menu, to change options the user must change the file "config.c" (in the emulator folder) directly.

- Game Gear is not running ok yet.

>> Get it HERE.

OpenMSX 0.6.1 released

Robert
    By Robert,

MSX emulator.

This is an overview of the changes that were incorporated into past releases.

openMSX 0.6.1 (2006-07-30)

---------------------------------

This release includes major internal changes, although many are not visible from the outside.

It is now possible to switch from one MSX machine to another while openMSX is running. This will reset the MSX of course.

Also, it is possible to insert or remove cartridges (extensions or game ROMs) while openMSX is running. This does not reset the MSX, but the MSX system was not designed to support insertion or removal of cartridges while the machine is on. Although doing so will not damage openMSX (unlike a real MSX), it is possible the MSX will hang if hardware is removed that was being used, or that newly inserted hardware will not function properly until you reset the MSX.

A new advanced video renderer was added: SDLGL-PP. This renderer requires OpenGL 2.0 and uses pixel shaders to postprocess the image. For new video cards, this is a very efficient way of scaling the image. For old video cards, please stick to the SDL or SDLGL renderer. Not all scalers are implemented yet:

"simple" and "ScaleNx" work, as well as the new "TV" scaler, which is exclusive to SDLGL-PP.

New or improved emulator features:

- Run-time switching of machines:

change:        set machine

query:        set machine

- Run-time switching of extensions:

insert:        ext

remove:        remove_extension

query:        list_extensions

- Run-time switching of ROMs:

insert/change: carta

remove:        carta -eject

query:        carta

- New command "hda" to change the IDE harddisk ("hdb" for second drive etc). This is allowed only when the power is off, for the safety of your data.

- SDLGL-PP renderer (OpenGL-2.0), with the following exclusive features:

* scale factor 4

* TV scaler: brighter pixels are drawn bigger

* 3D monitor effect: (arcade look)

set display_deform 3D

* horizontal stretch: (MSX aspect ratio)

set display_deform horizontal_stretch

- Monochrome monitor effect:

monitor_type

- Video noise effect:

set noise

Low amounts of noise (for example 2.5) can make the video look better, high amounts are just a gimmick.

- Brightness and contrast control: "set brightness " and "set contrast ", where 0 is neutral. A small decrease in contrast will make the noise look better.

- Preload disk image: avoids repeated spin-ups when loading from PC CD-ROM.

- TCL procedures can now have a help text and TAB completion. We also added help and completion to the TCL scripts that ship with openMSX.

- New console command "about" which searches for commands (built-in or TCL scripts) that seem to be about the given keyword. Useful if you forgot the exact name of a command.

- Watchpoints for I/O port and memory access:

debug set_watchpoint

[] []

debug remove_watchpoint

debug list_watchpoints

Where type is one of "read_io", "write_io", "read_mem" or "write_mem".

Address is in range 0..255 for I/O ports and 0..65535 for memory. Condition and command are the similar to the "set_bp" command.

- Detection of DI/HALT (hanging MSX).

- Detection of Undefined Memory Reads (UMRs). When memory is read that was never written to, a TCL procedure is called. You can make your own, or use the included procedure named "umrcallback":

set umr_callback umrcallback

This is "valgrind" for MSX :)

MSX device support:

- IDE CD-ROM support: the "ide" extension now contains a CD-ROM drive in addition to a harddisk. You can insert ISO images with the "cda" command, or "cdb" for the second CD-ROM etc. There is no support yet for audio tracks. Note that you have to run IDECDEX in the emulated MSX before you can use CD-ROMs; you can download it from Sunrise (http://www.msx.ch/sunformsx/).

- Support for V9938 with only 16kB VRAM, as used in the SVI-738.

- Major V9990 improvements.

- Minor sound differences between two different PSG types (AY8910 and YM2149).

- Added Ninja-tap, a joystick port expander.

- Added DDX-3.0, a port-based external floppy interface.

- Small bugfixes in various devices: VDP, RTC, FMPAC, MegaRAM, IDE.

Build system, packaging, documentation:

- OpenGL support now depends on GLEW (http://glew.sourceforge.net/). GLEW is a library which allows us to conveniently use of GL extensions.

- Build fixes for Intel Macs.

>> Get it HERE.

JAPE WIP

Robert
    By Robert,

http://www.innoveware.com/index.html

07-30-2006 - JAPE

I started working on JAPE 0.9.

There are now 33 supported games and only one game with issues compared to the MAME equivalent version (Mr. Do).

I added support for zoomable display for non-VESA modes and integrated most missing changes from previous MAME versions.

Here are supported changes from MAME 0.5/0.6/0.7/0.8/0.9:

Program:

- Background graphics in Zaxxon now work, albeit a bit slow

- Space Invaders now seems to work correctly. Deluxe version still doesn't work properly.

- Better colors in Donkey Kong Jr. (thanks to Brad Oliver)

- Sorry about screwing Donkey Kong Jr. colors... it's playable again. Colors are still way off though: anyone volunteers to fix them? :)

- Zaxxon now works, but the background graphics are missing

- Added some support for Carnival - it boots and runs the demo, but the graphics are messed up.

- Fixed graphics in Moon Quasar (yes it does run, but you need the correct ROMs)

- Some support for Space Invaders (+ some clones) but it doesn't work well.

- Support for Battle of Atlantis (a Scramble hack)

- Maybe I understood how the character colors are selected in Donkey Kong, at least in part, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I started fixing them. I based on the Kong emulator by Gary Shepherdson.

Following changes provided by Mirko Buffoni:

- Support for Mario Bros. (wrong colors, no sound) and Zaxxon (doesn't work yet).

- Gorf and Robby Roto boot but don't work.

- Added some support for Moon Quasar, but it doesn't work. Since the ROMs are encrypted, I don't know if this is due to wrong decryption, bad ROM, or wrong driver (I'm using the Moon Cresta one). I think that either MQ3 (which maps at 1000-17ff) is bad, or it uses a different encryption.

- I'm beginning to understand how the Wizard of Wor video hardware works, gameplay hasn't changed but the graphics are more faithfully reproduced.

- Fixed some problems in the Wizard of Wor driver, but it is still far from complete.

Source:

- Added visible_area to the MachineDriver definition. It was used in all video drivers, so it's better to keep it centralized.

- I got rid of machine.c and put all into mame.c... when I have time, I'll try to organize the source better.

- Some bug fixes and changes to reduce porting problems (thanks to Brad Oliver)

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS