Ootake 0.57 released

Robert
    By Robert,

PCE/TG16 emulator

2006/07/28 0.57 released

- The noise that happens when the sampling sound of the wavy memory sound source is uttered is made to disappear, and tone quality has been improved. Software that uses the sampling drum and the voice can be clearly uttered.

- The noise that happens when ADPCM sound source is muffled is made to disappear, and tone quality has been improved.

- Software with unique horizontal display beginning position ("Quiz Tonosama no Yabou" etc.) is displayed as well as a real machine.

- When using it by "Windows 98/Me" and "XP/2000 that was installed the ASPI driver", the problem that "CD drive letter" is not displayed in the "Setting CD Drive" menu was corrected.

- "Screen disorder of one frame" that happened when knocked down with "Shubibinman2" was corrected.

>> Get it HERE.

SDLMAME 0.107_2 released

Robert
    By Robert,
    SDLMAME 0.107_2

0.107 went off largely without a hitch, so I can devote _u2 to genuine enhancements people have asked for, mostly.

What’s new?

* Fixed compile problems on Win32 and x86-64 Linux

* Mouse capture added. This means that if the mouse is active to control a game and you’re in windowed mode, the mouse pointer will now disappear and be stuck inside the MAME window any time MAME is not paused. This duplicates the behavior of Windows MAME and makes mouse control far more usable

* “Fast forward” feature added. Now instead of having to toggle F10, you can make MAME go as fast as possible by simply holding down the “Page Down” key. This is great for e.g. DECO Cassette games with long loading or POST times.

>> Get it HERE.

Elite Beat Agents

Wizard
    By Wizard,

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan was shown at E3. Well, technically it wasn't Ouendan, but it's american counter part, Elite Beat Agent.

Here's the a partial list taken from Bemanistyle.com

I know alot of you who own a Nintendo DS have probably heard of Ouendan. The Technic Beat style rhythm game developed by iNis and released in Japan last year. It was announce just before E3 this year that they'd be releasing a spiritual sequel in the U.S. under the name Elite Beat Agents, and up until today all we knew about it was from the short demo at E3. Well, in liu of the recent fall release list Nintendo sent out, they also made some details on Elite Beat Agents available, including the following partial songlist:

Steriogram - Walkie Talkie Man

Deep Purple - Highway Star

Eve 6 - Inside Out

Ricky Martin - Livin' la Vida Loca

Savage Garden - Truly, Madly, Deeply

Weird Al Yankovic - Hardware Store

Linkin Park - In the End

The Offspring - Hit That

Queens of the Stone Age - Go With the Flow

Kylie Minogue - Locomotion

Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

Barenaked Ladies - One Week

On top of the pop heavy american songlist, we're also going to see some new features that were left out of the japanese version. American players will now have single-card multiplayer open to them as well as multi-card, and they'll also be able to send the equivelant of the E3 demo (Walkie Talkie Man & Highway Star) as well as the Tutorial mode from the Japanese game over via download play.

They also revealed 2 new scenarios. First is of a young man trying to win the heart of his dream girl, and the other is a construction worker who is behind on a project and only has 1 hour to get back on track and complete it. Elite Beat Agents is scheduled to be released on November 6th.

I'm down for this :P

JAPE WIP

Robert
    By Robert,
    07-27-2006 - JAPE

I am currently working on JAPE 0.8.

There are now 25 supported games and only one game with issues compared to the MAME equivalent version (Mr. Do).

For people who start asking what is the aim of purposes of JAPE and if it is really a valuable project:

As far I am concerned, this is a rather fun project to do and a good way to understand the innerworkings of MAME from scratch. What is more, trying to port all MAME versions from the very beginning helps to solve porting issues little by little, enables to add new cpu cores or drivers as they are needed. Also, I can define precise objectives and have a good number of working games for every release.

Despite all my previous efforts trying to create generic arcade emulators (CottAGE, PotatoArcade...), I failed to create something easily maintainable and that people can easily contribute to. Rewriting and porting MAME in Java means you have the most comprehensive arcade machine emulator and only to focus on rewriting/porting issues (and most of this work is already done).

In the future, JAPE could be a good Java counterpart to MAME. This project is a good source of information on the software and hardware of many arcade games. You now have a fully-featured Java version to play with. If you are not familiar with C or the complex MAME compilation, you can use the Java version instead, try to write new drivers or experiment with the emulator and built-in debugger, etc.

The project itself may serve as a base for many other Java-related arcade projects: statically or dynamically compiled arcade games, other specific or generic arcade games emulators. Since MAME is pure C, my work tends to have the same approach but it could be a good opportunity to create a more C++ish or real Object-Oriented version from JAPE.

Java means we can think of possible versions for mobile phones or PDAs (Java Mobile Edition) or even on Windows Media Center for the too-much protected XBox 360...

An online version (applet or Java Web Start), coupled to a good Web site offering interesting features could be very valuable. You could try or play online your legally owned arcade games from virtually anywhere (well on every Java-enabled platform), keep traces of your configurations, savings, share your hiscores and the like...

With the legal issue put aside, websites offering INP movies from MAME to show off skills or hiscores from players could turn their site into a repository of online playable intros or movies for arcade games.

... Now, I am pretty sure you have certainly other interesting ideas to share on how to make good use of JAPE... :P

Here are supported changes from MAME 0.7/0.8:

Program:

- The ROM copyright notice is displayed in the main emulation screen.

Following changes provided by Mirko Buffoni:

- You can view the game graphics pressing F4. Use cursor keys to change graphics set/color, F4 to return to the game.

- Better colors in Amidar and Frogger.

- Support for:

Super Cobra (version running on a modified Scramble board)

Pooyan (wrong colors, no sound)

Phoenix/Pleiades (no sound)

Source:

- Long-awaited function clearbitmap(), which correctly initializes a bitmap using background_pen. Note for people porting MAME to other systems: osd_create_bitmap() must call this function, the video drivers rely on that.

- Scramble has 100% correct colors. The same palette is used by Super Cobra, but it doesn't look right.

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS