Scientists make phone cover that turns into flower

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (Reuters) -- Scientists said on Monday they have come up with a cell phone cover that will grow into a sunflower when thrown away.

Materials company Pvaxx Research & Development, at the request of U.S.-based mobile phone maker Motorola (MOT.N), has come up with a polymer that looks like any other plastic, but which degrades into soil when discarded.

Researchers at the University of Warwick in Britain then helped to develop a phone cover that contains a sunflower seed, which will feed on the nitrates that are formed when the polyvinylalcohol polymer cover turns to waste.

"It's a totally biodegradable and non-toxic plastic," said Pvaxx spokesman Peter Morris.

"This is the first product that we've made public. We're working with blue chip companies and will introduce several products next year," he said, adding it would be used in electronics, horticulture, ammunition and household cleaning.

The company's new plastic, which was created over the past five years but was in development for longer, can be rigid or flexible in shape.

Some 650 million mobile phones will be sold this year, and most of them will be thrown away within two years, burdening the environment with plastics, heavy metals and chemicals. A biodegradable cover can offer some relief for nature, Warwick University said.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/12/06/cellpho...reut/index.html

Edited by Xx1LLMAT1CxX

the things people come up with nowadays...i mean, how in the world, can u get an idea such as this? did they seriously stop for a moment and ponder..."wait a minute, i wonder if i can make a cell phone cover where it can become a phucken flower when they are thrown away???"

if that was the case, why not ciggarette butts that can turn into something like a flower...i mean, we throw millions of those things into the ground everyday....amazing i tell ya, just amazing...

i want the opposite, i want a phone that can be thrown into space and drift fortever...but that has crap to do with nothing...that woulc be cool if they made a phone out of marajuana