Boffin writes world's smallest P2P application

A professor of computer science at Princeton University has written the world's smallest peer-to-peer file sharing system to demonstrate the futility of trying to ban the technology.

The application, written by Edward Felten in just 15 lines of code in the Python programming language, will not work on a large scale like Kazaa, but can form small P2P networks which can then be interlinked. The code can be seen here.

"My goal in creating this program is not to facilitate copyright infringement," said Felten. "The program is useful mainly as a proof of concept. P2P apps can be very simple, and any moderately skilled programmer can write one, so attempts to ban their creation would be fruitless."

In 2001 Felten hit the headlines when he was threatened with legal action by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).

The RIAA had designed new watermarking technologies under its Secure Digital Music Initiative (SDMI) and invited hackers to try and break it. Felten proved that the technologies were fundamentally flawed.

However, before Felten could present the research he was forced to withdraw after threats were made against him and his employers. SDMI was withdrawn shortly afterwards.

You need python.exe to run it.

I looked up this man's work, he has written heaps of papers,

mainly on java.

He also wrote this:

This paper describes an Internet security attack that could endanger the privacy of World Wide Web users and the integrity of their data. The attack can be carried out on today's systems, endangering users of the most common Web browsers, including Netscape Navigator and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Web spoofing allows an attacker to create a "shadow copy" of the entire World Wide Web. Accesses to the shadow Web are funneled through the attacker's machine, allowing the attacker to monitor all of the victim's activities including any passwords or account numbers the victim enters. The attacker can also cause false or misleading data to be sent to Web servers in the victim's name, or to the victim in the name of any Web server. In short, the attacker observes and controls everything the victim does on the Web. We have implemented a demonstration version of this attack.

Great, thanks guys , I have a dream, were people can answer my question, and not ignore me, I have a dream...gaa forget it, anyways, I want to have this guys brains!

I don't think many people are proficient in Python. If they were, they would have replied. Since no one knew, no one said anything.

Great, thanks guys , I have a dream, were people can answer my question, and not ignore me, I have a dream...gaa forget it, anyways, I want to have this guys brains!

I don't think many people are proficient in Python. If they were, they would have replied. Since no one knew, no one said anything.

That how things usually goes around here. :D If you can't contribute to the tread, don't say anything.

That how things usually goes around here. :D If you can't contribute to the tread, don't say anything.

geez drake there is this thing called google. search man, search