LF2 Tournament

Lucandrake

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, and that's only some of the structures I have to know. I have to know the monosaccharides to 7 carbons and other special ones and each of their isomers, 4 disacchirides (sucrose, maltose, lactose, and cellubiose), a few oligosacchirides (only the blood groups thankfully), some polysacchirides (amylose, amylopectin, cellulose, chitin, peptidoglycan, glycogen, hyaluronic acid, and heparin).

That's just the carbohydrates. I also have to know lipids, proteins, and nucleic acids (these are easy.)

Lipids:

Omega 3 fatty acids, linolenic acid, eicosapentaenoic acid, docosahexaneoic acid, triglyercides, steroids (cholesterol, cortisone, estradiol, testoterone, progesterone), Vitamin D and it's intermediate forms, phosphatidic acids, phosphatidyl esters (lecithins, cephalins, inositides), sphingomyelin, cerebrosides, gangliosides, Vitamin A, E, and K, eicosanoids (prostaglandins, thromboxanes, leukotrines).

Proteins:

Just those amino acids I posted earlier. No other structures luckily. I just have to know the basic structures (primary, secondary, tertiary, quaternary) and function of them. Also the purines and pyrimadines which make up nucleic acids.

Nucleic acids:

dAMP, dCMP, dGMP, dTMP. DNA (A, B, and Z forms) and RNA.

59 pages of notes + stuff from text book makes a nice 6.70 mb PDF file. It's actually not as bad as it looks since many of them can be grouped together and learned that way. Also, for most of them I don't have to know how to draw them, just recognized them on the test and decode pictures with them. Also, the most important part about those is to know the actual function of them so that's just remembering what goes with what. It looks like a lot but once they're broken down into managable sections it becomes easier. Plus, this is the first test and that's always the hardest.

I better get back to work. :rofl: