RIAA shuts down fan sites!

Wizard

The Recording Industry Association of America, which you may remember from such episodes as "The Industry versus Napster" and "Lawsuits against Teenagers and Grandmothers", took aim today at two fansites that hosted homemade films of game footage set to music. Turns out the RIAA has a problem with the use of copyrighted music in film soundtracks:

This site, which we accessed on 22 July 2005 14:07:22 EDT (GMT -0400), offers approximately 600 sound files for download. Many of these files contain recordings owned by our member companies, including songs by such artists as KoRn.

Wait a minute. KoRn?

Warcraftmovies appears to have been gutted although it is live, while RPGFilms.net has posted on their front page the cease and desist letter they recieved from the RIAA. The World of Warcraft forums has an interesting thread on this subject arguing that using the music is "fair use" under Section 107, and besides, who ever ripped a soundfile from an internet video anyway? Well, it's not much of a coherent argument actually, they are just upset. And I understand that. The RIAA has adopted an extremely strict no-tolerace war on piracy, even when it seems unnecessary, at least in the eyes of the fan community. Luckily for us, these days it's so easy to compose your own soundtrack if you have one of a few dozen programs, some of which are freeware. I bet my 12-year-old nephew could come up with a soundtrack that sounds at least as good as a KoRn song.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3142370

RIAA is now going above and beyond now.

Lol That's taking it to an extreme. Why don't they just shut down newgrounds home to millions of flash movies that all have copyrighted material on them. :(

don't give them any ideas

Lol That's taking it to an extreme. Why don't they just shut down newgrounds home to millions of flash movies that all have copyrighted material on them. :(

don't give them any ideas

They know.

why does the govt. keep on protecting these assholes?!

Money.

You have put your finger on the dilemma of all government— and the

reason I am an anarchist. The power to tax, once conceded, has no

limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told

them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away

with government— sometimes I think that government is an inescapable

disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and

starved and inoffensive— and can you think of a better way than by

requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their

antisocial hobby?

It's just a matter of when they get around to it.

These are the kind of assholes that make you want to pick up a gun and go round there and shoot them.

The universe would be a much happier place.

Oh for flock sake... I'm so glad I don't live in the USA. Someone should punch a RIAA executive straight in the face. Ten times. And onxce more. Better yet, someone should get rid of them for good.

Like I said on another board, this kind of a witch-hunt mentality similar to Jack Thompson's crusade (although Thompson's is even more ridiculous) maeks me mad. Seriously.

OMG I MUST HEAR THE NEW KORN SONG IM GOING TO GO DOWNLOAD SOME WARCRAFT MOVIES TO HEAR IT!!!

OMG AND I AM SOOOOO CALLING THE COPz0rZ ON MY NEIGHBOR WHO MAKES HIS OWN HOME MOVIES WITH HIS VIDEO CAMERA AND THEN EDITS IN MUSIC WITH HIS COMPUTER BECAUSE HE IS l337 HAx0R AND THEN ILL SUE MY TEACHER WHO MADE US USE MODERN MUSIC AND SING OVER THE WORDS TO MAKE IT ABOUT SOMETHING HISTORIC FOR A PROJECT (God i hated that project) BECAUSE THAT MEANS HE FORCED US ALL TO BREAK THE LAW!! OOOOOOOOHHHH

I hate the RIAA...seriously its not impacting anything as much as they think. if i was famous and i had music out, i wouldnt care if people downloaded it or not as long as people heard it.