bsnes WIP News

olaf

Emu#dreams reports that byuu has made progress with his Super NES emulator: bsnes. Below is a quote of his WIP news from his homepage.

Added Direct3D rendering support. With that comes the option of selecting which video filter you prefer (point, bilinear, pyramidal, or gaussian). I also added TV-style scanlines, and added a config file option for controlling the luminance of them. The effect simulates interlacing even in the low-res 256x224 video modes pretty well, but anything more accurate would require a much greater resolution. I also fixed triple buffering. It seems to only be possible when using page flipping, for whatever reason. Otherwise, the video frequently gets choppy. This unfortunately means that the menubar to control the application will not be visible when triple buffering is enabled. I'm open to suggestions. I also moved the screenshot capture code into the port-specific code, so I could take advantage of D3DXSaveSurfaceToFile. This means screenshots can be captured with full video effects, and saved in BMP, PNG, or JPEG file formats. It won't work with the DirectDraw renderer just yet, though. I also added a nice gradient fade when you pause the game now. Also, despite all of my efforts to speed things up, using the Direct3D renderer results in a ~35% speed drop, even with no effects turned on. Don't ask me why.

I also added an option to specify where you want to save SRAM files to, and the emulator now always looks for the configuration file in the same path as the executable itself, regardless of how the emulator was started.

Here's some screenshots showing off the TV-style scanlines applied to both the point and linear filters. I can't show off the pyramidal and gaussian filters because my video card doesn't support them, and like hell I'm playing far enough into a game with the D3D software renderer.

You can see the screen shots he speaks of here, at the official homepage of bsnes.

Edited by olaf