Transfering files over a local network

someboddy

I have 4 computers hooked together with ethernet cables and a 10/100 switch. I'm assuming you have worked out IP connectivity between your machines?

Make sure they are all in the same workgroup, usually WORKGROUP. Make sure each machine has a unique computer name (I use serial numbers).

If there are windows 95/98 machines involved, make sure that a common user/password exists on all the machines.

Now let's say you want to be able to see files on machine B while working at machine A.

On machine B, make sure that sharing is allowed on the drive you want to share. Make sure the userid you will use has the correct access level (can read and right files).

On machine A, open Windows Explorer. Tools, Map Network drive. Choose an unused drive letter, browse to the other computer's drive. If the userid/password is different between the machines, click on "different user name" and enter the details. Click OK and a new window will open, and you can see the files on the other computer.

another way is double click the internet icon in your taskbar thing to get your IP (Second tab) and then go to search and put the IP in there and the pc should show up, open it and everything you have shared should be in there

kind of a dumb way to do it but it works

another way is double click the internet icon in your taskbar thing to get your IP (Second tab) and then go to search and  put the IP in there and the pc should show up, open it and everything you have shared should be in there

I think it will connect them via the internet, which will be slower.

another way is double click the internet icon in your taskbar thing to get your IP (Second tab) and then go to search and  put the IP in there and the pc should show up, open it and everything you have shared should be in there

I think it will connect them via the internet, which will be slower.

Only if your machines each have a public address, and you use that public address. Private addresses will keep the traffic inside your network......and off the internet. If you use a router, the public side of things doesn't apply........ever.