JAPE WIP

Robert

http://www.innoveware.com/index.html

07-30-2006 - JAPE

I started working on JAPE 0.9.

There are now 33 supported games and only one game with issues compared to the MAME equivalent version (Mr. Do).

I added support for zoomable display for non-VESA modes and integrated most missing changes from previous MAME versions.

Here are supported changes from MAME 0.5/0.6/0.7/0.8/0.9:

Program:

- Background graphics in Zaxxon now work, albeit a bit slow

- Space Invaders now seems to work correctly. Deluxe version still doesn't work properly.

- Better colors in Donkey Kong Jr. (thanks to Brad Oliver)

- Sorry about screwing Donkey Kong Jr. colors... it's playable again. Colors are still way off though: anyone volunteers to fix them? :)

- Zaxxon now works, but the background graphics are missing

- Added some support for Carnival - it boots and runs the demo, but the graphics are messed up.

- Fixed graphics in Moon Quasar (yes it does run, but you need the correct ROMs)

- Some support for Space Invaders (+ some clones) but it doesn't work well.

- Support for Battle of Atlantis (a Scramble hack)

- Maybe I understood how the character colors are selected in Donkey Kong, at least in part, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I started fixing them. I based on the Kong emulator by Gary Shepherdson.

Following changes provided by Mirko Buffoni:

- Support for Mario Bros. (wrong colors, no sound) and Zaxxon (doesn't work yet).

- Gorf and Robby Roto boot but don't work.

- Added some support for Moon Quasar, but it doesn't work. Since the ROMs are encrypted, I don't know if this is due to wrong decryption, bad ROM, or wrong driver (I'm using the Moon Cresta one). I think that either MQ3 (which maps at 1000-17ff) is bad, or it uses a different encryption.

- I'm beginning to understand how the Wizard of Wor video hardware works, gameplay hasn't changed but the graphics are more faithfully reproduced.

- Fixed some problems in the Wizard of Wor driver, but it is still far from complete.

Source:

- Added visible_area to the MachineDriver definition. It was used in all video drivers, so it's better to keep it centralized.

- I got rid of machine.c and put all into mame.c... when I have time, I'll try to organize the source better.

- Some bug fixes and changes to reduce porting problems (thanks to Brad Oliver)