Upgrading

Mooney

So... I've decided that I need to, yes NEED to, update my box. It is not 1337 anymore. I need a new video card and CPU. Here's what my mobo can handle:

CPU:

-AMD Socket-754 Athlon 64 CPU

-Processer interface via 6.4GB/s Hyper Transport bus

Expansion Slots:

-One AGP slot for 8X/4X AGP

-Five 32-Bit PCI slots (v2.2 compatible)

So what should I get? :blink: Suggest!

In that part where it says "Five 32-Bit PCI slots (v2.2 compatible)" ...What does that mean? Can I use PCI video cards? :huh:

Yes, you can use PCI video cards; but if you have a AGP slot, use a AGP card instead.

Maybe you can put a sound card in one of those PCI slots.

Edited by Weirdy

I'd pretty much suggest getting rid of that motherboard if you're gonna upgrade.

Socket 754 is long gone, and you'll be stuck with probably not much higher than you already have.

AGP has gone the way of the dinosaur, and AGP variants of video cards actually cost MORE than PCI-Express cards (Which btw are better for obvious reasons of bandwidth.....etc)

Forget "upgrading", it would be a serious waste of your money to upgrade with what you're sitting with. It'd be like me putting a 2Ghz Socket 423 CPU in this motherboard, and buying the best AGP version card out there. I could do better......for less money.

Wow im gonna get that card for my 2.4 GHz PC when i upgrade it to 3.0 GHz, thats pretty powerful for that cheap!

Not to change the subject or anything, but i also have a PC that has 512MB RAM/1.3GHz Pentium 4, and a GeForce 3 (eww)

What do you think would be the best card i could put in there without it really being a waste? I was thinking an ATi Radeon 9800XT 256MB or something

No.. I think I'll keep my mobo. :o Anyway, here is the graphics card I'm looking at. BTW, Cinder: The AGP and PCI-E cards cost the same. :D

http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2826995

Get it from here instead. :D

No, if I buy from ATI, I can send in my old card (a Radeon 9800 PRO) and they will send me $50.

Wow im gonna get that card for my 2.4 GHz PC when i upgrade it to 3.0 GHz, thats pretty powerful for that cheap!

Not to change the subject or anything, but i also have a PC that has 512MB RAM/1.3GHz Pentium 4, and a GeForce 3 (eww)

What do you think would be the best card i could put in there without it really being a waste? I was thinking an ATi Radeon 9800XT 256MB or something

Yeah, a Radeon 9800 series card would fit well with those specs. Nothing higher than PRO, tho. :o

I can say truthfully, that my 9800 Pro is still alive. It really is a card built to last.

But next summer it's full upgrade. Whole computer treatment. Only things I'm keeping are the usual lot. KB+Mouse, speakers 2 of the 4 harddrives

Yeah, after looking around at parts. I decided I should just build me a new one. I've been lookin' at some mobo's with ATI chipsets and AMD socket AM2. :D