Multiple OS's?

Mooney

When I build me a new computer, I would like to be able to run multiple OS's on it. I have a few questions on that...

1. Is it possible to run a Mac OS on a PC?

2. What is the best way to install each OS? (On separate HD's? Partitions?)

3. How the f@#$ do partitions even work? :thumbsup1:

4. What is the best kind of Linux for programming? (C++, Java, HTML, etc.)

Thanks!

1. I don't know

2. The best way to install each OS is to use separate partitions on one hard drive (and by giving your favorite one the most space :thumbsup1: )

3. For ex, there are 2 people and one pie. How do you distribute the pie evenly to each person? Partitions are sections of a hd with boundaries that range from sectors xxxx to sectors xxxx; the size from beginning to end is the size of each partition.

4. I heard that python is best, but idk. I heard that many books that teach you programming with GTK teach you in C/C++. I have a guide that teaches how to make KDE apps with QT using C++.

and since we're talking about OS's, I must say that I HATE FEDORA CORE!

1: Theres x86 builds out there, but if you're planning on running Linux......stay away from OSX, think of OSX as the Windows ME of the UNIX world.

2: You will require seperate partitions, I'm not even going to bother getting into running 2 different versions of Windows on 1 partition......it's a stupid idea in the first place. Don't use different physical hard drives, it's not necessary. If you can, keep your OS' on one drive and everything else on another (Depending on the size of disk in question of course) and try to put the swapfile/swapdrive on another disk as it's a faster method than on the drive the OS is on.

3: You should Google this before you even bother getting started, or you're going to get annoyed when multi-booting and something doesn't go exactly as it should.

4: None really, the UNIX environment Linux is derived from IS a developers environment. Just choose suitable packages for what you need that are included with your distro and go from there. There is no "Programmers Choice" Linux distro really unless you're the crazy coder who drinks 10 pots of coffee while staying up till 4am banging your head off your keyboard..........in which case, you wouldn't be asking this question. (And Python isn't a Linux distro Wierdy, it's a programming language........and it's simplistic)

Oh and I suggest you don't waste your time with multiple versions of Windows, it's just not worth the bother anymore. If you're keeping that PC you have now, turn it into your classic gaming PC with an older version of Windows on it for stuff that doesn't agree with XP.

I know that, it's just that I wasn't thinking clearly at the time. I thought he was asking for the best language and/or IDE.

Thus, there is no best distro to use for programming. Fedora Core 5's installation allows you to install packages for software development. However, I didn't like FC5 because of yum; I thought it was too slow.

Can you believe this crap? This morning I was removing apps on FC5 that I felt were unnecessary--guess what happend. YUM REMOVED ITSELF AS A DEPENDENCY! :D:thumbsup1::(

Oh and I suggest you don't waste your time with multiple versions of Windows, it's just not worth the bother anymore. If you're keeping that PC you have now, turn it into your classic gaming PC with an older version of Windows on it for stuff that doesn't agree with XP.

Who said I was gonna do that? What I wanted to do was (probably stupid, impossible, or both. :thumbsup1: ) I wanted a Windows OS, Linux, and Mac, so I could have the best of all worlds. That's why I asked about separate HD's: each one could have its own HD. Go ahead, call me stupid, but it was just a thought. :D