CrocoDS Alpha 0.1a released

Robert

CPC emulator for the DS

Translated from French by Google

CrodoDS Alpha v0.1a

CrocoDS is an emulator of CPC 6128 for Nintendo DS.

I bought myself a DS 2 months ago. As a developer (since almost 20 years), I am quickly buys a EZ4 lite to benefit from the homebrews.

My first computer having been a CPC, I was very disappointed not to see any emulator of this one.

After some research, I found that nrx then Alekmaul planned to create theirs it has a few months but much time did not have to devote to them.

Time, I do not have much more but I want terribly of an emulator CPC. The big problem, it is that I do not have any experience under development comforts.

I have thus to start to carry Caprice32 (best emulator CPC on PC).

After a few hours, I am to arrive has to make turn a version on my DS but with a framerate of 5fps, I am quickly disappointed: my small console is much slower than the pockets GCV to which I am accustomed. Wouldn't that be right a soft dream to emulate a CPC on a DS… However, there are Megadrive emulators which turns at full speed.

I thus will make a turn on the other sites proposing of the CPCs emulators. It is which I fall on Dream CPC. It is about the bearing of emulator WIN-CPC of Ludovic Delplanque on Dreamcast. If somebody succeeded in making turn an emulator CPC on Dreamcast, it must inevitably have average to make some turn one on DS.

I thus start again my project on the basis of the sources of WIN-CPC.

I arrive quickly at a version which turns to 30fps. I am on the good way.

After some small optimizations, the emulator turns to 90% the speed of the CPC. It is thus playable.

This version allows the loading of files SNA and DSK which are in the root of cartridge GBA (use of the LIBFAT of picodriveds) while pressing on the Select button.

The button R made starts again the emulator. The button L switches between the emulation joystick/keypad/clavier.

My next modifications will be to replace the core Z80 out of C by a version asm (I think of directing myself towards the bookshop DrZ80 Reesy to create for MAME), to add the support of the zip images.

The bitmap of the keyboard is temporary: it is about a version massacred of what ninxpe with fact for AmE DS. If somebody has a little time to devote to another keyboard, do not hesitate.

>> Get it HERE.

Thanks to Alekmaul