HD suggestions

Inky

really how much difference is visible between all 3 resolutions? and if todays LCD screens don't interlace what the hell is the difference between 1080i and 1080p? I am in the market for a 30something inch lcd and at this point I am thinking I should just go with a 720p screen. I am going to game on it of course (xbox360) and I have some but not a whole lot of channals available in HD but most of my tv viewing is still in SD.

1080i vs 1080p

And keep in mind that all blue ray and hd dvds are in 1080p format.

I myself have a 42inch 1080p plasma and have seen the 1080i also cannot really tell the difference until I watch a blue ray movie then I can see the clarity.

If you are going to go hd then I suggest you go for the highest resolution you can afford. There is nothing wrong with 720p but once you have a 1080p you will never go back.

going 1080p basically gives you better black levels, but with a properly adjusted/decent set (investing in one of those sensor majiggers/discs is a VERY good idea) it should be physically impossible to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p.

What I would do is the following:

Make sure it has 720p/1080i

Make sure there is no built in Tuner (use the box your service provider gives you)

Make sure there is no built in speakers (Built in speakers are garbage, even cheapass out of the box sets are leaps and bounds better)

Things suddenly get more affordable

Now start looking for sets with the best contrast ratios/response times/etc. Personally I like LCDs for flat stuff and CRTs for Durability (they will last forever) but this is up to you.