Nine Inch Nail's Ghosts

Gryph

http://ghosts.nin.com/

Last night, out of the blue, Nine Inch Nails released a new instrumental album called Ghosts I-IV. It's a volume of 4 albums, each with 9 songs.

If you are a fan of NIN's instrumental stuff like in The Fragile and And All That Could Have Been you'll like this.

But the big thing about this release is not only the music, it's how it is being delivered. You can choose to download high quality MP3 (320 kbps), FLAC, or Apple Lossless. Each of the songs has it's own little artwork which is a really nice touch for when you load it onto an ipod. Also, it was released under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike license so you can remix, share, do whatever with the music. It seems that Trent Reznor truly understands, or is at least doing his best to understand, how to deliver music in the digital realm.

The first volume is free to download to anyone. You can get it from the site or through any torrent site. An official torrent was released somewhere with a message that kind of went like "Bit torrent is a great technology blah blah." However, you have to buy the other volumes.

The entire package comes in different forms with different costs:

- $5 for a one-time download in any of the formats I mentioned above.

- $10 for one-time download and a mailed copy of the CDs with booklet art. You have to pay for shipping which is pretty expensive really because I'm paying $7 shipping.

- $75 for a Deluxe version that comes with a bunch of extra stuff like something Blu-ray

- and finally the $300 limited Ultra Deluxe edition (2500 copies only) that comes with even more stuff and is signed by Trent Reznor.

- You can also get it through Amazon (though MP3 quality is not as good and does not come with all the extras) and another site w hi

If you want to support properly done digital distribution then please go ahead and actually pay for it. If you're anti-RIAA, anti-big labels that suck, this is the best way to stick it to them. Also, it's cheap.

http://ghosts.nin.com/main/order_options

And the site is SLOW AS HELL. It took me over 2 hours to submit my order and to download it. Holy crap it's slow.