Rock Band compatible with World Tour

Wizard

LOS ANGELES--During Activision Blizzard's press conference outside E3 2008, Neversoft director Brian Bright surprised many by announcing that non-RedOctane instruments could be used with Guitar Hero World Tour. Speaking today with GameSpot, he clarified some of his statements, offering a deeper explanation--and more than a few surprises.

The Rock Band drum kit.

First off, Bright said the input at the back of the drum kit would allow its control to be mapped to any instrument with a MIDI digital output. "I was just doing it last night night with a MIDI-10 drum machine," he said, grinning.

Second, and perhaps more importantly, he said that not only will Guitar Hero World Tour support instruments from rival Rock Band, but Neversoft had programmed the game to recognize and adjust for them.

"We use a five channel input, and we've engineered the game to sense when you plug in a Rock Band drum set and switch to a four-channel input," he said, referring to the descending note scheme used in the game. "The orange cymbal input in Guitar Hero [World Tour] automatically becomes the green fill or the blue pad on the Rock Band drum set, depending on what works best with the song. You don't even have to think about it."

Such a move might seem surprising to those who observed previous compatibility battles between the Rock Band and Guitar Hero camps. Bright has no hard feelings, though. "Look, it's ridiculous to expect people to have two, three drum sets," he pronounced emphatically.

The Guitar Hero World Tour drum kit.

Bright also seemed confident such sentiments were reciprocal. "As far as I know, all our instruments work with the first Rock Band," he said. "Whether they work with Rock Band 2, I can't say."

The developer also said that his comments only applied to the Xbox 360 version of the game...for now. "I can't talk about the PlayStation 3 version yet, you'll have to wait for an announcement from Sony," said Bright. He did say, however, rumors that Microsoft insisted on such compatibility was untrue: "I mean, why not? We want as many people to play the game as possible."

For more on Guitar Hero World Tour, check out GameSpot's brand-new preview from E3 2008.

Gamespot

Interesting yet don't care at the sametime. When Rock Band came out I substituted it's guitar with the GH3 wireless guitar. Mainly cuz I broke the strum on the RB guitar but the GH3 (or any GH for that matter) guitar just seemed far more comfortable to me. So I'm pretty sure I'll be using the GH instruments than anything else. So I guess my only concern is if the new GH instruments will work for RB2. *crosses fingers*

as long as my GHII guitar works. I don't care about the rest. its good to see they are playing nice though. all periphals should work with both games. most gamers don't have the space or money for 2 or more full instrument sets.

Just hope Activison doesn't be a bunch of dicks and ask for a rediculus amount of money. But it should work on 360 since MS has a standard of enforcing crap like that. As for PS3, well S.O.L. until Sony comes up or enforces a standard for instruments.

the drums is the strange part to me.... both games have different amount of inputs. RB has 5, but GH adds cymbals for a total of 7 I think. RB2 adds some more as well i think.

GHWT has 5, RB/RB2 has 4.

What Neversoft did was run a check on which USB set is hooked up, if it's the Rock Band/RB2 set, it'll automatically adjust itself to it. It's unknown at this time if WT set <> Rock Band 2 will be supported. Since Neversoft is playing nice (more like everyone bitched at them when PS3 RB guitars didn't work at all with 3 got gimped by Act. I guess they more or less HAVE too, but this is just for the 360 version since theres an open standard on all the guitars on the market)

GHWT has 5, RB/RB2 has 4.

I was wrong on my original numbers but so are you (you forgot to count the bass pedal)

rock band has 4 drum pads and a bass pedal. thats 5 inputs.

Ghwt has 3 pads 2 cymbals and a bass pedal for 6 inputs.

I guess the rock band cymbals are gonna be optional and sold separately.

Pedal doesn't count on both of them because the difference is in the pads, their configuration and game registry.