Yamaha’s Exoskeleton Motorcycle: The Deus Ex Machina

Krosigrim

You can quote the game all you like, but even Eidos cannot copyright the words "Deus Ex Machina" as they literally mean something and aren't a "name". They can copyright it for a video game, but only a video game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina

Yamaha can likewise copyright it for their purpose, but nothing more (ie; Eidos couldn't sue Yamaha over it)

Information highway to the rescue!

Eido may in fact have Deus Ex copywritten but I beleive the phrase "deus ex machina" is actually public domain. Therefor it could be used by anyone for any purpose and could not be copyrighted by anyone.

And also to clear things up about Yamaha. They had nothing to do with this design and the student simply used their branding in his project.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, thanks for the useless loose interpretation of our posts. We, especially I, am well aware of what you said.........infact, it's pretty much what I said!

"You can quote the game all you like, but even Eidos cannot copyright the words "Deus Ex Machina" as they literally mean something and aren't a "name". They can copyright it for a video game, but only a video game."

What ever you think that you stated is not what you stated. What you stated was that Eidos could copyright the words for their game and Yamaha for their purposes (even though this is not a Yamaha design at all but the work of a student with no connection to Yamaha) of assigning it to a motorcycle. They would not be copyrighting the words, only the image of the words in a specific logotype.

Now, you may be aware of the specifics of the law but your explanation is off base.

Anyways, to state any relationship of the motorcycle concept to this game is a mere assumption. Especially given the broad geneology of the phrase. But then people tend to make assumptions founded in their own interests.

Wow, thanks for the useless loose interpretation of our posts. We, especially I, am well aware of what you said.........infact, it's pretty much what I said!

"You can quote the game all you like, but even Eidos cannot copyright the words "Deus Ex Machina" as they literally mean something and aren't a "name". They can copyright it for a video game, but only a video game."

What ever you think that you stated is not what you stated. What you stated was that Eidos could copyright the words for their game and Yamaha for their purposes (even though this is not a Yamaha design at all but the work of a student with no connection to Yamaha) of assigning it to a motorcycle. They would not be copyrighting the words, only the image of the words in a specific logotype.

Now, you may be aware of the specifics of the law but your explanation is off base.

Anyways, to state any relationship of the motorcycle concept to this game is a mere assumption. Especially given the broad geneology of the phrase. But then people tend to make assumptions founded in their own interests.

You say this, I read...

What ever you think that you stated is not what you stated. What you stated was "You can quote the game all you like, but even Eidos cannot copyright the words "Deus Ex Machina" as they literally mean something and aren't a "name". They can copyright it for a video game, but only a video game.".

Now I know this is going to sound weird but my statement is loosely off based from yours.

Anyways, to state any relationship of the motorcycle concept to this game is a mere assumption. Especially given the broad "genealogy" of the phrase. But then I think I know people.

Sounds like your repeating yourself!

You say this, I read...

What ever you think that you stated is not what you stated. What you stated was "You can quote the game all you like, but even Eidos cannot copyright the words "Deus Ex Machina" as they literally mean something and aren't a "name". They can copyright it for a video game, but only a video game.".

Now I know this is going to sound weird but my statement is loosely off based from yours.

Anyways, to state any relationship of the motorcycle concept to this game is a mere assumption. Especially given the broad "genealogy" of the phrase. But then I think I know people.

Sounds like your repeating yourself!

Than you need to learn to read.

What he stated was "You can quote the game all you like, but even Eidos cannot copyright the words "Deus Ex Machina" as they literally mean something and aren't a "name". They can copyright it for a video game, but only a video game.".

So he says that they can't copyright the phrase, then he says that they can just for the game.

What I have explained, several times now, is that the phrase cannot be copyrighted at all but an image of the phrase can be copyrighted. The design of the box cover or the font, style and color etc. So if something was released that even said "Dude's Ex" but it was done in the same style, they may have an infringement case, except in the case of parody.

Also, the reason the phrase can't be copyright is not because it means something or it's not a name but because it exists in the public domain.

RIF

Hmmmmmm perhaps a motorcycle that transforms to an armored suit... like that old anime, what wa... Bubble Gum Crisis?

you are thinking of Mospeada, the 3rd season of robotech here in the states. yes the anti anime dude actually knows something about anime.... I want to kill myself.

He's arguing semantics, and it's making him look fool.

Oh and nobody lays down a bike on purpose? Yeah, cause it's a great idea to hit the side of a car when you don't have enough room to stop, rather than toss the bike at it and get off the damn thing!

And totally off topic here but no one throws a bike down intentionally. That is called losing control. Hope your ok tho.

Uhhhhh. Cinder can be very abrasive... and condescending. But if he says he threw himself down, I believe him. Why? Why do I believe him... well I have my reasons... but primarily, I would have done the exact same thing. Id rather nipple surf than come to an abrupt stop like bouncing through off of a car.

Hmmmmmm perhaps a motorcycle that transforms to an armored suit... like that old anime, what wa... Bubble Gum Crisis?

you are thinking of Mospeada, the 3rd season of robotech here in the states. yes the anti anime dude actually knows something about anime.... I want to kill myself.

Oh was that it... Haha NERD!

------------------------------------------

ENOUGH

I do not want to read any more arguments about who is what or what was said or what the fuk ever...

My thread... please stop. Do not attempt to counter... just move on.

Thank you.