Major MAME cheatfile updates

Robert

31 MARCH 2009

As many of you are aware the old cheat engine was hacked to death during the 0.125 update cycle, it was so bad that the whole cheat engine was ripped out during the 0.126 update cycle. A completely new and more resilent cheat engine was written by Aaron Giles during the 0.127 update cycle. This new cheat engine works in a completely different way than the old cheat engine, though the casual cheater should notice few differences as the differences are behind the scenes. The cheat.dat is now officially dead, replaced by 7000+ xml cheat files (though they can be kept in a single zip). The cheat format as expected is unrecognisable from before, but it is a lot more powerful. Unfortunately, so far there is no cheat finding functionality in the new cheat engine...hopefully this will get addressed soon.

Right there are two releases today. First of all, to close off cheat.dat once and for all I include the LAST EVER cheat.dat file. This cheat file is meant for use with MAME 0.126 that's been compiled with a working cheat engine rather than the one contained with the 0.125 update. I've included a link to the last known good cheat.c for MAME 0.126 so if you are capable of compiling you own - drop that into the right place and type make. Before anybody asks, no it's NOT possible to compile the old cheat.c into newer MAMEs as since 0.126u1 there have been a series of changes to the memory/cpu system that makes it all but impossible.

Secondly, I've converted the above 0.126 cheat.dat file into the 7000+ xml files of the new format. This cheat collection is for use with 0.130u2 or later.

Note: The XML Cheat Collection archives are double packed. Inside the downloaded zip/7z archive you will find a large cheat.zip. It's this cheat.zip that should be placed in the same directory as your MAME executable.

Read the cheat.txt file contained in the cheat130u2 archives for more information.

>> Get it HERE.