Support for new ROM hack projects

mer-curious

Regarding the addressing of the extra audio bank, I put it as if it were a single bank on the z80, only twice as big.

I didn't use any tricks in the emulator to access this extra audio bank.

In version 0.30 the extra sound bank only has the title announcement, parry, super effect, Dan Gaoh Shokoken. But in the next update 0.31 I plan to put different voices to do Evil Ryu in this bank.

Edited by zero800

If you are still around, I had a look at the custom samples, and they seem to be 8 bit wav files... Well qsound is also 8 bits so that doesn't make a big difference, but the songs seem different though, so what are they ?

I can recreate some ogg files from these using audacity, but it's the 1st time I use some 8 bit samples to create some mp3 or equivalent...

• Like 1

Ok, finally found the cause of the bad sound, as I suspected, it's because of the unusual size of the pcm rom.

The default driver initializes the bank by taking a byte & 0x7f and << 16. Well you just need the whole high byte with sfz3mix, that is & 0xff instead of & 0x7f. The & is still required because it's a 16 bit value and we want only the lowest byte.

Well that's the end, I think the support is complete, just have to wait for a few details about these custom samples, and ffman1985 seems very busy with some new scripts now...

Also fixed last night some long lasting bugs about alignment of the background layer when it uses some line scroll, I had to fix it here because this game uses that all the time, even in the 1st attract mode screen ! So this probably fixes quite a few other things related to cps2 at the same time...

• Like 1

Thank you for your commitment to supporting this hack.

I used 8-bit samples just to make them smaller and take less time to load the game.

That was the reason, just to gain a little more performance and reduce the file size.

But with the .ogg format you don't need that reduction.

I still have the original songs and I can convert them, I just don't have a lot of free time to do it.

Is the .ogg loop done manually? If so, it would be even better because most songs have an intro and then I'd loop it.

Edited by zero800
  • Like 1

Ok, then I'll wait for your version then !

Yes you can tell a track is looping but from memory it's the whole track in this case, so you should make sure start and end are ok for that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hello Tux! Thank you so much for accepting those requests! 🙏

Thank you also zero800 for creating this interesting SFZ3 hack! The special effects in the super special moves are beautiful! Congratulations for that! 👏 By the way, how did you know about Raine? It would have been a huge coincidence that you came here right when your project was being added...

So, I tested here the KOF'94 Team Edit IPS patches and they seem to be working fine. But I'm seeing some graphical glitches in the character select screen. Here's a video clip showing what I'm seeing:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xs4ORKFTtb0g7QLWZk--9O9SOOlMjO5i/view?usp=sharing

You can see there's a weird Japanese character blinking in the bottom and some black squares blinking in the top. I could capture a picture too, here:

AA85zIc.png

Interestingly it only happens after the first battle and on, so maybe the Japanese winning quotes could be triggering it? Anyway, this doesn't happen in FBNeo loading the same IPS patches, as you see in the next clip:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19ewOUMFTle0Szijv3NOWz_rty6_2Bdew/view?usp=sharing

I'm using the *.dat configuration which you suggested in this thread. I've also tried disabling the blend effects but it didn't solve the problem. I also use the blend files in FBNeo anyway and there's nothing wrong there, so I'm guessing it's really something with Raine then...

I'll leave a save state file right before the second battle so you can see if you can reproduce it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RmEwTA8FtCQXqTc192uvR8l2TGUA6YCF/view?usp=sharing

If you can't see nothing wrong with this file maybe you could try winning the first fights and then seeing the next character select screen. The game is a little difficult even in the easy difficulty level, but you can use the Unibios cheats if you need.

Thank you so much again for your incredible work lately in fixing all the remaining bugs in the CPS1 and 2 drivers and also for still keeping supporting the emulator! 👍

PS: by looking closely at the picture above I've just noticed the background which has the "The future is now SNK" logo is cut in the right, which is interestingly...

Edited by mer-curious

Yeah well I don't feel like investigating this for now sorry, I'll release what I have so far and we'll see later...

• Like 1

Ok, zero800 just released the new binary with the sfz3mix support. You can try the sound associations for yourself with this version, I have verified that it's working with sfz3mix. It's in Sound options / sound associations. Mer-curious is the local expert at creating playlists to go with the kof games, he is from Brazil too, there must be something about kof games in Brazil !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Hello Tux! Thank you so much for accepting those requests! 🙏

Thank you also zero800 for creating this interesting SFZ3 hack! The special effects in the super special moves are beautiful! Congratulations for that! 👏 By the way, how did you know about Raine? It would have been a huge coincidence that you came here right when your project was being added...

So, I tested here the KOF'94 Team Edit IPS patches and they seem to be working fine. But I'm seeing some graphical glitches in the character select screen. Here's a video clip showing what I'm seeing:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xs4ORKFTtb0g7QLWZk--9O9SOOlMjO5i/view?usp=sharing

You can see there's a weird Japanese character blinking in the bottom and some black squares blinking in the top. I could capture a picture too, here:

AA85zIc.png

Interestingly it only happens after the first battle and on, so maybe the Japanese winning quotes could be triggering it? Anyway, this doesn't happen in FBNeo loading the same IPS patches, as you see in the next clip:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19ewOUMFTle0Szijv3NOWz_rty6_2Bdew/view?usp=sharing

I'm using the *.dat configuration which you suggested in this thread. I've also tried disabling the blend effects but it didn't solve the problem. I also use the blend files in FBNeo anyway and there's nothing wrong there, so I'm guessing it's really something with Raine then...

I'll leave a save state file right before the second battle so you can see if you can reproduce it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RmEwTA8FtCQXqTc192uvR8l2TGUA6YCF/view?usp=sharing

If you can't see nothing wrong with this file maybe you could try winning the first fights and then seeing the next character select screen. The game is a little difficult even in the easy difficulty level, but you can use the Unibios cheats if you need.

Thank you so much again for your incredible work lately in fixing all the remaining bugs in the CPS1 and 2 drivers and also for still keeping supporting the emulator! 👍

PS: by looking closely at the picture above I've just noticed the background which has the "The future is now SNK" logo is cut in the right, which is interestingly...

Hello mer-curious, you can contact me on Discord (user zero800) and help me make a soundtrack that's even better than the current sfz3mix samples. 

I came across this forum by searching on google for a TAS video from SFZ3Mix.

I started reading the thread and couldn't believe there were people wanting support for my hack :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tux said:

Ok, zero800 just released the new binary with the sfz3mix support. You can try the sound associations for yourself with this version, I have verified that it's working with sfz3mix. It's in Sound options / sound associations. Mer-curious is the local expert at creating playlists to go with the kof games, he is from Brazil too, there must be something about kof games in Brazil !

I've added Raine's link to the official SFZ3Mix page, thanks for the support Tux!

18 minutes ago, zero800 said:

I've added Raine's link to the official SFZ3Mix page, thanks for the support Tux!

:)