Support for new ROM hack projects

mer-curious

20 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Hello Tux! Thank you so much for accepting those requests! 🙏

Thank you also zero800 for creating this interesting SFZ3 hack! The special effects in the super special moves are beautiful! Congratulations for that! 👏 By the way, how did you know about Raine? It would have been a huge coincidence that you came here right when your project was being added...

So, I tested here the KOF'94 Team Edit IPS patches and they seem to be working fine. But I'm seeing some graphical glitches in the character select screen. Here's a video clip showing what I'm seeing:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xs4ORKFTtb0g7QLWZk--9O9SOOlMjO5i/view?usp=sharing

You can see there's a weird Japanese character blinking in the bottom and some black squares blinking in the top. I could capture a picture too, here:

AA85zIc.png

Interestingly it only happens after the first battle and on, so maybe the Japanese winning quotes could be triggering it? Anyway, this doesn't happen in FBNeo loading the same IPS patches, as you see in the next clip:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19ewOUMFTle0Szijv3NOWz_rty6_2Bdew/view?usp=sharing

I'm using the *.dat configuration which you suggested in this thread. I've also tried disabling the blend effects but it didn't solve the problem. I also use the blend files in FBNeo anyway and there's nothing wrong there, so I'm guessing it's really something with Raine then...

I'll leave a save state file right before the second battle so you can see if you can reproduce it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RmEwTA8FtCQXqTc192uvR8l2TGUA6YCF/view?usp=sharing

If you can't see nothing wrong with this file maybe you could try winning the first fights and then seeing the next character select screen. The game is a little difficult even in the easy difficulty level, but you can use the Unibios cheats if you need.

Thank you so much again for your incredible work lately in fixing all the remaining bugs in the CPS1 and 2 drivers and also for still keeping supporting the emulator! 👍

PS: by looking closely at the picture above I've just noticed the background which has the "The future is now SNK" logo is cut in the right, which is interestingly...

Well you found again something very very specific here !

I can't explain this quickly but I'll try to be clear : mame and raine code to draw sprites are very different, because here I based the source on another emu, not mame. In the end we use some very different method, mame updates the screen for every scanline, and depending if the scanline is odd or even it accesses 2 lists of sprites then it checks if they are on the scanline it tries to update and draws them in this case.

On the other hand in raine I try to update the screen in 1 go, exception when there are raster interrupts, some games having 1 for each scanline, in this case I am obliged too to update for every scanline, but since most of the time it's everything in 1 go, I don't care at all about these 2 lists, and so far everything worked fine, I just browse the main list of sprites without even looking at these. But apparently this hack is the 1st thing I see using these 2 lists to blacklist some sprites from what is to be drawn on screen, never seen that happening anywhere else !

If you load your state without applying the ips hack, you'll see that actually the affected screen doesn't exist in the original rom, it's skipped completely !
So... it would mean changing the whole way sprites are drawn with the potential to affect all neocd and neogeo games just for something which lasts a few seconds only, because after that we are back to the screen which is in the original rom and the problem is gone.

So for now I would say that I prefer to ignore the problem. ffman1985 says we could maybe find where the hack modifies the list of sprites to update it so that the whole list is cleared in this new screen. Well I might wait a bit to see if we can come to something using this method, but otherwise I'll just ignore that for now.

For info the crazy idea of ffman1985 worked, so I made a patch for the ips patch. The problem started to appear in their 1.1.9 version actually so it's not exactly recent. It looks like a bug and not something wanted, it's a function which is supposed to erase some characters and actually enables a column of sprites which should stay disabled.

The patch is committed to git, it's actually very short, it works with the latest 1.3.0b0 version.

• Like 1

Actually if you want to test that on 0.96.9, it's easy to do and it would be useful : after loading kof94 with one of the ips patches loaded open the console and type :

- for a94 : dpoke $2bd8ea $4e75
 - for a95 : dpoke $2bd8ca $4e75

I know it fixes this bug but I can't be sure it doesn't affect anything else...

Yeah you can't copy and paste to the console yet, you'll need to copy this manually.

edit : fixed the offsets in the console, it's $2xxxxx and not $1xxxxx... !

• Like 1

And I got my testing from ffman1985 here, so this function is actually called to display the player name on the player selection screen, so if you disable it this way, you don't see the player name.

So the correct fix becomes :
 - dpoke $2be018 $303c for patch a4
 - dpoke $2be018-$20 $303c for patch a5

At least I was right not to hurry this fix yesterday, it really needed more time !

And the guy from the kof94te project just replied to say he is out of town for now but will merge the fix as soon as possible, cool so maybe the fix won't even be necessary here for the next version then!

• Like 1

kof94te is at version 1.3.0, out of beta, including the patch for this problem. By the way he could confirm the problem happens only on raine, not on the original hardware, so maybe 1 day I'll have to change the way sprites are drawn. But for now it allows me to do things faster for sure, so everything is good.

I can keep the patch in the source since it checks the contents of the rom before patching it, so it doesn't try to patch 1.3.0, just tested with the a95 patch.

This is the end of this problem then !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your work in supporting this hack.

I have already downloaded the latest patch and I can no longer reproduce the graphical glitch in the character select screen after the first battle, so it's indeed fixed. 🙏

I was wondering if this change you are considering to implement could fix that graphical glitch in the Japan stage in KOF '94 which I reported a few years ago. I'm not sure if you remember it, but I made a video-clip comparing it to FBNeo, here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xi1mHtqkQKDQTNRKdwB8KHb3p_ugXlLD/

Anyway, thank you so much again for helping the patch author to fix this issue with his interesting hack. 👍

I don't really see what these 2 things have in common ! Plus here this was a bug from the patch author, not the rom authors, so it would be highly unlikely to be found elsewhere ! I didn't remember the bug but I remembered the video and remembered my reply at the time, it didn't change !

Posted (edited)
On 6/16/2024 at 5:09 PM, Tux said:

Ok, zero800 just released the new binary with the sfz3mix support. You can try the sound associations for yourself with this version, I have verified that it's working with sfz3mix. It's in Sound options / sound associations. Mer-curious is the local expert at creating playlists to go with the kof games, he is from Brazil too, there must be something about kof games in Brazil !

Yes, I really enjoy the soundtrack arrangements SNK did for most of their NG ports to home consoles. They had a band in the 1990s just for that. Unfortunately that wasn't the case with Capcom, which didn't produce virtually any music arrangements for their games on home consoles.

Both Capcom and SNK had business in Brazil in the 1990s, maybe because of the Japanese migration period in the beginning of the 20th century, which formed a community of descendants here. So there were Neo Geo and CPS1 and 2 arcade machines spread all over the country, which made them very popular indeed.

I'm really glad to see some Brazilian modders such as zero800 working on these beloved arcade games. 😊

On 6/16/2024 at 6:31 PM, zero800 said:

Hello mer-curious, you can contact me on Discord (user zero800) and help me make a soundtrack that's even better than the current sfz3mix samples.

Hello zero800! I sent you a friend request in Discord. 👍

Edited by mer-curious

6 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Yes, I really enjoy the soundtrack arrangements SNK did for most of their NG ports to home consoles. They had a band in the 1990s just for that. Unfortunately that wasn't the case with Capcom, which didn't produce virtually any music arrangements for their games on home consoles.

Both Capcom and SNK had business in Brazil in the 1990s, maybe because of the Japanese migration period in the beginning of the 20th century, which formed a community of descendants here. So there were Neo Geo and CPS1 and 2 arcade machines spread all over the country, which made them very popular indeed.

I'm really glad to see some Brazilian modders such as zero800 working on these beloved arcade games. 😊

Hello zero800! I sent you a friend request in Discord. 👍

It took you 6 days to notice his message ? Unbelievable !