Raine 0.96.9 : hotfix !

Tux

Mainly because I broke the top of the main menu in the previous version ! 1 line fix, but an important one... !!!
Anyway except this one I manage to fix some alignment issues in sfz3mix (16 pixels on the right for scrll2, scroll3 and the sprites, I can't say I had a lot of time to test it, but it looks better).
And a fix for a mer-curious crash, see his thread for the details, it was probably specific to ssrpg, but it obliged to change the way samples were handled !

I hope there won't be another critical bug in this one because I plan to cool down for a few days after this !

http://raine.1emulation.com/download/latest.html

• Like 2

Hello again Tux! Thank you so much for fixing these issues!

I've tested here the crash in SSRPG and the issue is definitely resolved. I can also manage the save states in NGCD games through the GUI again!

Now that you've corrected the alignment issues with SFZ3Mix I've paid a little more attention to the game and found more graphical issues. The introduction screens are also misaligned to the left, take a look:

JXPNy5l.png

For comparison, FBNeo:

glV0Hqu.png

Raine:

PSiw0jw.png

FBNeo:

shr0XFN.png

The "Q sound Virtual Audio" screen is centered correctly but the Capcom logo isn't, which is kind of interesting. See:

qIHRfok.png

Notice that the Capcom logo starts in the "a" of "trademarks" and ends in the "a" of "Labs". Now check the same screen in FBNeo taking this position as a reference:

i27Pu9t.png

You see here that the logo starts in the "s" of "trademarks" and ends in the "s" of "Labs". It is also correctly centered based in the Q sound square logo.

Same here:

ag09WzZ.png

FBNeo:

VSqOSZ4.png

The purple defense bar also needs a little adjustment. It's touching the top of the screen. See:

7wrjxpT.png

This is how it should be:

kJHVII4.png

If you beat your opponent with this kind of super upper cut you have this effect on screen:

ey4Mx5g.png

If you pay attention at the bottom of the picture you'll notice there is a line cutting the effect horizontally. You also have this line in FBNeo, but it is not as big, take a look:

ofoOU5W.png

You see that in FBNeo you have a smaller horizontal line both at the top and bottom of the screen, so maybe the vertical alignment in Raine will also produce this effect (a line in both top and bottom of the screen during this effect).

You can reproduce this effect with this save state:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bAjf6o9MYt8LYSUoSm5ZjmHUSncThKN7/

It was created right before the effect shows so you don't need to perform any commands in the controller.

Now I'm not sure if it's an alignment issue too. It's in Adon's stage, see:

x5yQEGl.png

Notice there's a black square behind the tree. In FBNeo we don't have this black square and if you pay attention the brick wall merges perfectly with the tree, see:

xJSPUQf.png

You can go to Adon's stage by using this save state:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10DDUtDWADruQL26C-ZNMty7TFhwIEaCY/

I also noticed another misalignment in Charlie's stage, here:

JHIKE0p.png

Check the black bar in the right. Maybe fixing this could also fix all the issues in the introduction screen?

FBNeo for comparison:

dRFU6H5.png

Get to this stage by using this save state:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XddRTRAx8Zv__G56pLmWod7Ad9ag_-VG/

I also have something similar in Guy's stage, here:

y0qwJee.png

You see there's also a black bar under the bridge in the right. We don't have that in FBNeo:

4Hjrtrr.png

It looks like a misalignment issue to me too...

Here's a save state to this stage:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K6QxxLB6U4YDpciHIA_0AsunC0VT49v8/

Chun-li stage:

P6sPP4T.png

Save state:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PDMoBJa-QhMODvgIgIHzOq_rRlpuF59L/

Sodom stage:

2J5tkFW.png

Save state:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wmGLkmg3o5jvQ2m9K3fN2WX672_k4Q_0/

Finally, there's a weird black and green ball in the sky before the fight against M.Bison in his stage, check here:

9fGJy7V.png

And for comparison here is how it looks in FBNeo:

jzvNM0k.png

Save state:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LL0PXvk7tdQ7whXXsiWUxiCgzclVmxgW/

I think that's it for this report. I have some other issues to report not related to SFZ3Mix but it's better to leave that for later because this post is already very long.

Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to check those issues in SFZ3Mix.

PS: just out of curiosity I found one issue in FBNeo that is not present in Raine. Pay attention to the tree trunk in Ryu's stage:

KoHjrwe.png

You see there is a misalignment issue too. Interestingly we don't that in Raine:

wVc8GVn.png

But we still a black bar there in the right of the red sky. If you would like to check this stage just let the demonstration run and it should be the first one to show.

I should be reporting this glitch to the FBNeo GitHub project later...

Edited by mer-curious

congratulations for the time you spent doing all these screenshots and saves, you should really learn to compile so that you could try these alignment issues yourself, because you never see the end of it !

Clearly all this comes from the resolution change in this game. Now the screens to be able to check relative alignment of layers are very rare, even more so when you talk about vertical alignment ! Yeah I missed scroll1, maybe I didn't want to see it at the time, the text layer for the 1st screens, the horizontal alignment is easy, but there might be some vertical alignment too about this and in this case it might affect other layers too...

The sodom stage is the worst, this stage is done by pieces of layers stuck together everywhere !

Anyway not sure at all we'll see the end of it before long... You fix 1 screen and then you notice that it breaks another one ! Too bad there's no screen to check these alignment in the test mode, there is one but it's done only to align the crt monitor screen image, I guess it didn't make much sense to align layers on the original hardware back then... !

• Like 1

Hello Tux! Thank you for fixing these alignment issues in SFZ3Mix. I spent quite a few time trying to find the graphical issues in the game. I'm not sure if I reported all of them, but hopefully your changes will fix all the stages, even the ones not mentioned.

By the way, did you happen to check the weird black and green ball in M. Bison's stage? I found that very curious...

Now I would like to report some other issues which I experienced in Raine recently:

1) The "Pause when focus lost" option is broken. If you enable it the game goes to a "paused" state and never continues. The only way to clear this state is by closing the program.

2) The game controller operation is not disabled in the GUI when the program focus is lost. I stumbled upon this issue while doing the various tests in SFZ3Mix in Raine and FBNeo. I had both programs running at the same time but I minimized Raine's window when testing FBNeo, and to my surprise I was doing crazy things in the GUI because I was using the controller in FBNeo in my tests too. I noticed the keyboard controls are already disabled in the GUI when the program focus is lost, so the same needs to happen for the game controller I guess to avoid messing with the GUI options unexpectedly.

3) The maximized window state is not saved in Raine. The program instead saves the maximized window size and restores it when opened again. This can be a problem when playing Raine in a laptop and eventually using an external display to play again, and vice versa. I made this test myself in my laptop and it is indeed an issue, check below:

This is Raine running maximized in my laptop display, with the native resolution of 1366x768

HQOFjar.jpeg

If I close the program and runs it in my 1080p TV, this is how it will look:

8B9y67V.jpeg

You see that the maximized window state is not preserved and restored, only the window size, therefore we have this effect of the previous display size showing in a bigger resolution display. The same will happen the other way round too, take a look:

qtZygVO.jpeg

You see above the program running maximized in a 1080p resolution TV. Now if we close it and reopen it in the internal laptop display, we have this:

RVuFRR3.jpeg

The Raine window goes out of bounds because the previous 1080p window size is being displayed in a 1366x768 display.

So I think it would be better to restore the windowed/maximized state of the program instead of the displayed size to avoid this issue with different displays with different resolutions being used to run the emulator eventually. I'm not sure if it would be difficult to implement this though...

4) It's not possible to leave the controller mapping function by clicking on the X in the window. I'm not sure if this could be changed because this seems to be an independent program embedded in Raine, but it would let this function more user-friendly if someone quickly opens the controller configuration without reading the instructions. I guess it's more intuitive to click on the X to cancel actions, especially if you are new to Raine.

Jk9RqRG.png

Anyway, these are the issues/ideas I wanted to talk about before I got busy with the SFZ3Mix and KOF94TE testing. I wish you could consider taking a look at them whenever possible.

Thank you so much again for still working in your project. 👍

Edited by mer-curious

For the green ball : I checked your save, yous see this ball only in the 1 few frames during the stage introduction, if you want to spend hours debugging a video bug for something which happens only during a few seconds, be my guest !

1) focus lost : nice finding, it was during the transition to sdl2, many things to fix at the same time, I started this one but never finished it ! Luckily finishing it was very easy, it's fixed. It's still surprising this was never reported earlier, this change is from November 2021, so this must be used by nobody... !

2) it's the default in the sdl test programs which use the joystick/controller, I copied without trying to understand. Cases where you use 2 programs at the same time which use the same controller are rather rare normally. But so it's not a problem, I just changed the setting from 1 to 0, 1 line change.

3) after a break and some testing in windows : actually the maximized status of the window was not tracked at all, I didn't even think about it, because you see normal people use fullscreen for what you did, not a window with decorations, but yeah I know, you are different ! ;-) (yeah I am sure it's because you love to switch from one emulator to another even on a tv !).

Ok, so I added the tracking of maximized/restore status which obliges to change quite a few things, and while I was at it the position of the window is now tracked in real time, previously it was just asked when the program exited. I removed a hack about window position for linux in the process, normally it shouldn't be necessary anymore... let's hope for the best ! A particularity : it tries to save the status of the window before it was maximized, which means that if you maximize your window, quit to save the configuration, then run the program on another screen, you should be able to leave maximized state and find your previous saved position !

4) Ah, I didn't notice that either, it's a function which is almost never used, and probably not used at all by most users. Actually even if it looks like a separate program, it's just another window, you can open multiple windows with an sdl2 program, but this particular one didn't allow the window to close, yeah. I don't know why they did that in the 1st place, but anyway ok I added the ability to close to exit earlier !

And I don't plan a release before this week-end !

And from Luca (Zzap!raine editor for now) : sfz3mix ceases to be a clone since it completely replaces all the roms, it's an independent rom now.

And from some other user on github : the sound driver saved in the config file never appears in the sound dialog when you launch raine, except if it's the 1st sound driver. It's a bug, the dialog is not properly initialized. I also added an error message when you change the driver in the gui, the change doesn't return an error, but the driver remains the same anyway, in this case you must do the change before starting any game.

7 hours ago, pmc2 said:

raine supports sf2mix (same author) ?

No didn't know it. It looks less innovative than sfz3mix though, a lot like the zillions of clones of sf2... but yeah maybe it could be an idea to try to add it...

Ok, added out of curiosity, much easier to add than sfz3mix !

Added the custom dsw as indicated on the web site...

• Like 1

Hello again Tux! Thank you so much for considering these little changes! I'm really glad you could implement all of them without too much work. Hopefully this will let the program more user-friendly somehow.

As for the graphical issue in the M. Bison stage in SFZ3Mix, I thought you had forgotten to check that since you didn't comment on it. But it's indeed very minor, so I can live with that for the time being. I wish another programmer could help you with resolving that...

22 hours ago, Tux said:

A particularity : it tries to save the status of the window before it was maximized, which means that if you maximize your window, quit to save the configuration, then run the program on another screen, you should be able to leave maximized state and find your previous saved position !

If I understood it correctly, if I use the default 640x480 window size in normal windowed mode and never change it, I can always return to it if I leave a maximized window state, is that it? That would be interesting.

22 hours ago, Tux said:

4) Ah, I didn't notice that either, it's a function which is almost never used, and probably not used at all by most users. Actually even if it looks like a separate program, it's just another window, you can open multiple windows with an sdl2 program, but this particular one didn't allow the window to close, yeah. I don't know why they did that in the 1st place, but anyway ok I added the ability to close to exit earlier !

Thank you for considering and implementing this change. Curiously I happened to skip the instructions once and then was stuck with the controller window opened. The only way I found to close it was by opening the Windows task bar and ending the Raine process. I really don't know why I didn't try the Escape key before, but anyway...

22 hours ago, Tux said:

2) it's the default in the sdl test programs which use the joystick/controller, I copied without trying to understand. Cases where you use 2 programs at the same time which use the same controller are rather rare normally. But so it's not a problem, I just changed the setting from 1 to 0, 1 line change.

Great!

22 hours ago, Tux said:

And I don't plan a release before this week-end !

No problem! I made a few minor text changes in the GUI and created a pull request in Raine. Hopefully this will be in the next release if you agree with the changes...

11 hours ago, Tux said:

No didn't know it. It looks less innovative than sfz3mix though, a lot like the zillions of clones of sf2... but yeah maybe it could be an idea to try to add it...

I agree, it seems not as refined as SFZ3Mix, but I should take a look at it eventually...

I don't have any other reports for now. Thank you again for your work! 👍

On 6/19/2024 at 4:00 AM, mer-curious said:

PS: just out of curiosity I found one issue in FBNeo that is not present in Raine. Pay attention to the tree trunk in Ryu's stage:

KoHjrwe.png

You see there is a misalignment issue too. Interestingly we don't that in Raine:

wVc8GVn.png

But we still a black bar there in the right of the red sky. If you would like to check this stage just let the demonstration run and it should be the first one to show.

I should be reporting this glitch to the FBNeo GitHub project later...

Hello Tux! I went and opened an issue in the FBNeo GitHub page to report this graphical glitch in the tree trunk in Ryu's stage. A developer has suggested Raine could be using a workaround to avoid this glitch. Do you think that could be the case?

Anyway, now the SFZ3Mix developer is also investigating the cause of this glitch in FBNeo.

You can check the discussion here:

https://github.com/finalburnneo/FBNeo/issues/1812

Hopefully what they find can potentially help you with understanding the cause of this problem and why Raine doesn't have it.

Thank you again for your time.

It's possible there is an unwanted workaround, in the sense where there are a few hacks in the sprites drawing which are not documented, it's from the super old sdl source upon which neocdpsp was based, very few have survived the migration to raine, but a few remain.

Now I would need to investigate deeply to be sure about that and sorry I am not really motivated to do that now...

Sorry to inform you after looking some more that actually this bug is also in raine now that I fixed all the alignment issues that you found (well hopefully).
It might be worth investigating which part exactly brought the bug in... !