Raine 0.96.10 : sf2mix, and more fixes !

Tux

At least this time I took a good week for this one so I had more time ! For sf2mix it's another clone from zero800, not as spectacular as sfz3mix, but still interesting. For the fixes, most of them are described in this forum thread with plenty of pictures posted :

Except that ffman1985 did it again, this time on "fatal fury1", and the very special thing this time is that he added the ability to play in coop with the computer! One of the most surprising bugs was probably the bad initialization of the sound driver in the sound options dialog, we probably had this one for very long !

Anyway find it there : http://raine.1emulation.com/download/latest.html

• Like 2

Hello Tux! I finally had some time to test this new version and here's my quick feedback.

Everything seems to be working fine now with SFZ3Mix. 🙏

By the way, the guys in the FBNeo team are seemingly approaching a solution to the tree trunk glitch in the game. They seem to be taking a huge amount of time on that, which is really impressive from them. Let's hope they learn something from that at least.

I found some issues with the new implemented maximized window mode, which I'll describe below:

1- If you have no configuration file (raine.cfg) and maximize the window and then return it to the original floating window size (leave maximized mode), Raine will turn into borderless windowed mode and attach to the top left of the screen. Here's a video-clip showing the issue:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fmQ716-dM-78skJUABUAjcMmpCbmscyp/

I'm not sure if this behavior was intended or not, but it seems a little awkward. It also happens if a game is already loaded.

2- If you maximize Raine and then quit to create a raine.cfg file, if you run the program again it will come back in maximized mode, which is expected. But then if you decide to return to floating window mode, the game picture will be out of bounds. Take a look:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eoPqc_XEukj8c75Zh5bnaiMmcBj6zwEO/

I think this issue could be related to the one above because you notice the program also turns into borderless full-screen mode and is docked to the top left of the desktop. But here the game picture is also oversized and becomes out of bounds.

3- If you have no configuration file (raine.cfg), load a game in floating window mode and then go into full-screen mode by hitting Alt+Enter, when you leave full-screen, Raine will be in a floating window state with the picture size of the full-screen in which it was before. If you hit Alt+Enter to return to full-screen mode again and leave this mode, the floating window will now be uncentered in the desktop. You can see all this happening here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wj4-iGkoHJVUAi829pE3qgEx5pll48xa/

Except that, I found no other issues in this release. Doing these tests I stumbled upon the ROM download feature which is present in Raine. I noticed that you can't abort the download process either by pressing Esc or the X in the window. Pressing X will crash the program, as you see here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Eu1KEjJ0MDDNAZJ_1S6IjjJa0BrUr9xm/

I was wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to allow interrupting the download process. I thought that maybe hitting Esc could offer a prompt to "Stop download?" and then offer the options of "Yes" or "No". Also, instead of immediately creating a *.zip file with the game, Raine could create a *.zip.tmp or a *.zip.part (or something like that) as a temporary file before finishing the download, then it would convert/rename the temporary file to *.zip when completed. I'm not sure if this would be complicated to implement, but it would avoid the game showing in the list of available games even if the download was interrupted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nnJsdJkvoUUOXRWv_NcbvQSzeyNFQZwO/

Also, hitting X in the window to abort the download process would allow it to continue if the user tried to download the game again.

Anyway, just an idea I had when using this function in these latest testings. Hopefully you will be able to reproduce all the issues in the new "maximized mode".

Thank you so much again for your time and work. 👍

PS: I still think it IPS load option would fit better in the Change/Load game menu as it was before. It would leave the main menu cleaner, I guess. But I don't know how complicated it would be to do that though.

Edited by mer-curious

Errr, this feature was made to be practical, not to make the perfect program which works in all imaginable cases ! I might try to fix some, but really you loose really too much time on details.

• Like 1

Ok, read it by copying and pasting the thing in google translations, thanks for the good words ! It's something zero800 should read !

• Like 1

On 6/26/2024 at 7:10 AM, mer-curious said:

Hello Tux! I finally had some time to test this new version and here's my quick feedback.

Everything seems to be working fine now with SFZ3Mix. 🙏

By the way, the guys in the FBNeo team are seemingly approaching a solution to the tree trunk glitch in the game. They seem to be taking a huge amount of time on that, which is really impressive from them. Let's hope they learn something from that at least.

I found some issues with the new implemented maximized window mode, which I'll describe below:

1- If you have no configuration file (raine.cfg) and maximize the window and then return it to the original floating window size (leave maximized mode), Raine will turn into borderless windowed mode and attach to the top left of the screen. Here's a video-clip showing the issue:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fmQ716-dM-78skJUABUAjcMmpCbmscyp/

I'm not sure if this behavior was intended or not, but it seems a little awkward. It also happens if a game is already loaded.

2- If you maximize Raine and then quit to create a raine.cfg file, if you run the program again it will come back in maximized mode, which is expected. But then if you decide to return to floating window mode, the game picture will be out of bounds. Take a look:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eoPqc_XEukj8c75Zh5bnaiMmcBj6zwEO/

I think this issue could be related to the one above because you notice the program also turns into borderless full-screen mode and is docked to the top left of the desktop. But here the game picture is also oversized and becomes out of bounds.

3- If you have no configuration file (raine.cfg), load a game in floating window mode and then go into full-screen mode by hitting Alt+Enter, when you leave full-screen, Raine will be in a floating window state with the picture size of the full-screen in which it was before. If you hit Alt+Enter to return to full-screen mode again and leave this mode, the floating window will now be uncentered in the desktop. You can see all this happening here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wj4-iGkoHJVUAi829pE3qgEx5pll48xa/

Except that, I found no other issues in this release. Doing these tests I stumbled upon the ROM download feature which is present in Raine. I noticed that you can't abort the download process either by pressing Esc or the X in the window. Pressing X will crash the program, as you see here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Eu1KEjJ0MDDNAZJ_1S6IjjJa0BrUr9xm/

I was wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to allow interrupting the download process. I thought that maybe hitting Esc could offer a prompt to "Stop download?" and then offer the options of "Yes" or "No". Also, instead of immediately creating a *.zip file with the game, Raine could create a *.zip.tmp or a *.zip.part (or something like that) as a temporary file before finishing the download, then it would convert/rename the temporary file to *.zip when completed. I'm not sure if this would be complicated to implement, but it would avoid the game showing in the list of available games even if the download was interrupted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nnJsdJkvoUUOXRWv_NcbvQSzeyNFQZwO/

Also, hitting X in the window to abort the download process would allow it to continue if the user tried to download the game again.

Anyway, just an idea I had when using this function in these latest testings. Hopefully you will be able to reproduce all the issues in the new "maximized mode".

Thank you so much again for your time and work. 👍

PS: I still think it IPS load option would fit better in the Change/Load game menu as it was before. It would leave the main menu cleaner, I guess. But I don't know how complicated it would be to do that though.

I finally fixed all this, took me a good 1+ hour, because I had to reboot multiple times to compare linux and windows... ! Anyway, in the end the patch is quite short. It's my fault for having started that, I was surprised also that the code seemed so simple when I did it in the previous version, I should have guessed there were some pitfalls !

Anyway I hope it's fixed for good this time.

Yeah maybe a way to cancel the download without killing violently the program in case you get a slow server could be an idea, not for now because I had enough of stupid occurrences with these window positions/sizes/status, but I agree it would be a good idea (but not so obvious to add in the code, this dialog is very special, it's the download function which updates the dialog in a callback, so let's hope there is a way to cancel the thing...).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Tux said:

I finally fixed all this, took me a good 1+ hour, because I had to reboot multiple times to compare linux and windows... ! Anyway, in the end the patch is quite short. It's my fault for having started that, I was surprised also that the code seemed so simple when I did it in the previous version, I should have guessed there were some pitfalls !

Anyway I hope it's fixed for good this time.

Hello Tux! This is really great news!

I am glad that my testings in Windows were of any good in the end. I'll test all this again when you release the next version.

18 hours ago, Tux said:

Yeah maybe a way to cancel the download without killing violently the program in case you get a slow server could be an idea, not for now because I had enough of stupid occurrences with these window positions/sizes/status, but I agree it would be a good idea (but not so obvious to add in the code, this dialog is very special, it's the download function which updates the dialog in a callback, so let's hope there is a way to cancel the thing...).

Yes, this function would let the download feature in Raine more complete indeed, because it is possible that someone may need to cancel the download eventually, for instance, when using Raine for the first time and exploring all the options. A *.part file (or something similar) would also resolve the issue of a broken game added to the game list when force stopping the download.

If it's not possible or too complicated to implement it now, at least we acknowledge this could be done some day.

Finally, I have created a pull request in GitHub to update samsho2pe to the latest June 2024 revision. I followed your previous update to the game to submit the changes. Hopefully I did everything right.

Thank you so much for your continuing work. 👍

Edited by mer-curious

Perfect update for github, you deserve praise for that since you do it blindly without even compiling !

Just added the option to cancel the curl transfers, no part file, the file is just deleted if the transfer is aborted and you get a clear message that the transfer was aborted. It was handled by curl so it was easy to add. Just try to close the loading progress dialog by the ESC key or right mouse click on it, both methods work, even if there is a slight delay because the event can be handled only when the dialog is updated.

I think we have everything for a release now, I'll just wait a bit because it's still morning here and I am still quite sleepy !

• Like 1