Raine 0.96.11 : updates, fixes and improvements...

Tux

The usual stuff, but some of these fixes are quite surprising, at least for me :

The updates first : samsho2pe updated to its latest version but can already be retrieved from internet archive, sfz3mix v0.31 and it's now downloaded directly from its site instead of internet archive.
Also the pbobblen "rotary" version is now supported, see the post about that there

Fixes :
 - the sdl2 default rendering was mostly broken, now it works again, it's good to have this one as default rendering even if it has less features than opengl
 - the fps displayed when using the turbo key (DEL by default) were wrong !
 - fixed the mess added in previous version about window size, position and status, hopefully for good this time
 - fixed slowdown when choosing to have an opaque hud in opengl !!! This one was very surprising, I only found it because I tested the sdl2 rendering and so I chose opaque hud there, and kept it when returning to opengl after. It took me a long while to understand where that incredible slowdown was coming from ! It can be particularly felt if using the turbo key, it was much slower if using an opaque hud ! Anyway it's done totally differently now and should work all the time.
 - got rid of the borderless option in video options, it was replaced by desktop fullscreen in sdl2 it should have been removed earlier.

And you can now cancel a rom download before the end, just use either the ESC key or a right click on the progression dialog.

http://raine.1emulation.com/download/latest.html

• Like 2

Hello Tux! Thank you so much for this new release!

I made a quick test here with this new version and could still reproduce some of the issues related to the window state, size and position. I'll list them below so you can try reproduce them again.

1- If you have a maximized window state saved in your config file, reopen the program and return to floating window state, the game picture will not be resized to fit the floating window size. Take a look:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AcFaeP4fKh_COF_nDbaK4a-XHA8H2ch9/

Also, if you try to maximize the window again and return to floating window mode, something awkward will happen. See here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zLB3hqi2HhSh6URuFQLyDjVnIca6pXfF/

2- Finally, the issue with going full-screen mode is seemingly unfixed. If you are in floating window mode, go full-screen and leave this mode, the previous window state, size and position won't be restored, so this will happen:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DtA8xbhhk4WFRTng1DtqFAqavMEtbXEz/

Interestingly if you were in maximized window mode, the same will happen:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Se15PDK6Zdha0Lzad-d97MT8z_Jmlosy/

You notice that the previous window state (maximized) isn't restored either.

So there are apparently some remaining problems with the window manager. Hopefully you'll be able to reproduce them all and fix them once and for all.

Except that, I tried here stopping a ROM download process and it worked perfectly. I can also close Raine by clicking on the X in the window frame without crashing the program now, but doing this preserves the incomplete downloaded file. I'm not sure if you could erase the incomplete download in this case though, but at least this function is more complete.

That's it for now. Thank you for still keeping improving Raine. 👍

PS: did you have a second thought on moving the IPS option away back into the game selection menu?

I vote to totally trash all this nonsense about window position/size/etc, got too much of it. Feature totally removed soon ! And blocking or removing the maximize button !

for the ips function : very good where it is, not going back. As I said obviously the old way was confusing.

1 hour ago, Tux said:

I vote to totally trash all this nonsense about window position/size/etc, got too much of it. Feature totally removed soon ! And blocking or removing the maximize button !

Thanks for the fast reply!

I understand your frustration with the maximized window feature. You said in the other thread you took over an hour to fix those reported issues and it is still not perfect yet. Maybe you could leave it for another time when you have come with some new ideas on how to improve it instead of hurrying to remove it?

I was also wondering if it wouldn't be better for you to program in Windows to fix all these Windows related issues? This would at least save you some time from rebooting and changing systems many times, no? But I'm not sure if it's possible to do that...

1 hour ago, Tux said:

for the ips function : very good where it is, not going back. As I said obviously the old way was confusing.

I think your confusion came from the fact that there were two IPS options in Raine in two different places, no?

My idea was that you would leave the one in the game selection menu because IPS functions are more related to loading ROMs, so it would fit better there instead of in the top of the main menu, which was traditionally the place for the "Change/Load game".

Anyway, just a detail I noticed with this change in the graphical interface.

Thank you so much again for your attention.

12 minutes ago, mer-curious said:

I understand your frustration with the maximized window feature. You said in the other thread you took over an hour to fix those reported issues and it is still not perfect yet. Maybe you could leave it for another time when you have come with some new ideas on how to improve it instead of hurrying to remove it?

I was also wondering if it wouldn't be better for you to program in Windows to fix all these Windows related issues? This would at least save you some time from rebooting and changing systems many times, no? But I'm not sure if it's possible to do that...

I'll let a little time pass to cool down, I'll see what I'll do about this, but yeah removing all this and switch raine to fullscreen all the time is quite tempting I must say !

12 minutes ago, mer-curious said:

I think your confusion came from the fact that there were two IPS options in Raine in two different places, no?

My idea was that you would leave the one in the game selection menu because IPS functions are more related to loading ROMs, so it would fit better there instead of in the top of the main menu, which was traditionally the place for the "Change/Load game".

It's ffman1985 who was confused, and he is not really a basic user, and I suspect a lot of users were too. I don't see any problem with the current way things are done anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Just did a mistake while reinstalling msys in windows, installed gcc instead of the w64-x86_64 version, very easy to do and you are in a hell of trouble if you do it.

Anyway problem fixed, back to sanity, but I had to delete the whole msys directory and restart from scratch to fix it... what a mess... !

• Like 1

Ok, the stupid windows are fixed again, but this time I forbid fullscreen from a maximized window to preserve my sanity, things becoming too crazy at this point and making too many problems. All the other situations tested afaik.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 4:43 AM, Tux said:

It's ffman1985 who was confused, and he is not really a basic user, and I suspect a lot of users were too. I don't see any problem with the current way things are done anyway.

Hello Tux! I believe ffman1985's confusion was because there was one option in the main menu called "Apply IPS to ROM code" which would allow the user to apply *.ips files when the game was already loaded, and another option in the game selection menu to load IPS *.dat files. Then the option in the main menu has been replaced by the one in the game selection, but I suppose you could have kept the one in the game selection menu and just remove the one in the main menu.

Maybe you could ask ffman1985 if he is OK with this move or if he could post here his reasons to keep the option in the main menu.

18 hours ago, Tux said:

Ok, the stupid windows are fixed again, but this time I forbid fullscreen from a maximized window to preserve my sanity, things becoming too crazy at this point and making too many problems. All the other situations tested afaik.

This is great news! I'm glad you could finally find some time and motivation to fix those remaining issues in the window manager. Maybe in the future you could also re-enable the switching from maximized window to full-screen and vice-versa..?

Anyway, hopefully everything will be right now. But I can try a beta version if you need someone to test these fixes before releasing a new version.

Thank you so much again for your continuing work in the program.

35 minutes ago, ffman1985 said:

Hello, I don’t have opinion about the menu for ips. 

Not a very courageous reply, you could say at least if it's better to have the ips function where it is now or where it was. But anyway I didn't change my mind on that, most of the functions in the top of the game selection dialog are related to sorting the games, you could very easily miss the ips part while it was there, so it's not going back.

1 hour ago, mer-curious said:

This is great news! I'm glad you could finally find some time and motivation to fix those remaining issues in the window manager. Maybe in the future you could also re-enable the switching from maximized window to full-screen and vice-versa..?

Anyway, hopefully everything will be right now. But I can try a beta version if you need someone to test these fixes before releasing a new version.

Thank you so much again for your continuing work in the program.

Super unlikely that it will ever come back, or one of the things to do for the day after the end of the world, which will be a very busy day apparently !

Hello, i have some new thought about the ips function. Although i have no opinion whether it should be included in the main menu or not, i think it should not be the first choice of the main menu.

The reason is that many people not using ips. Even using ips, they may not need to enter the ips menu every time since the setting is saved. (For me i apply the boss hack ips once only). The load rom option on the first choice should be convenient to most users.

• Like 1