Raine 0.96.12 : the revenge of ffman1985 !

Tux

Did you notice he didn't send any script update for 0.96.11 ? It's because he was working like crazy on a huge update... !
And that's finally 16 new scripts and 5 updated ones for 0.96.12. The short names of the games handled this time :

wakuwak7, wh1, wh2, wh2j, whp, aof3, aof, aof2, doubledr, fatfutsp fatfury1, fatfury2, kabukikl, kof94, ninjamas, samsh5sp, samsho, samsho2, samsho3, samsho4, samsho5 !

Sorry I am too lazy to get the long names, you can either display the short names in the game list in raine, or pass the short game name on the command line when launching it (which is a feat in windows, I know !), or if you have nothing else, an internet search will give you the long name.

Except that I added some other fixes for the windows placement/status, and added the ability to eject the neogeo/neocd memory card in neocd options, mainly for pbobblen hack, to be able to run it without 1st dealing with the file of its memory card. Ah also fixed a big buffer overflow for 24bpp games added in previous version, but you didn't have time to notice that, did you ? ;-)

You can get this there : http://raine.1emulation.com/download/latest.html

(we should be able to take long holidays after that !)

EDIT : just uploaded 0.9612a with an update for the roms for samsho2pe sent by mer-curious 5 minutes after the release of 0.96.12 ! Anyway, here are the changes for this new rom which you can already get from internet archive : https://github.com/zelurker/raine/commit/f96079448381e97c4181b19b01827006e175ffeb

Hello, do you think you could make us a simple changelog, it would take you less time to write and it would be more concise for the rest of us who relay your news, thanks for this version :) 

Hey I do my best here, the total changelog is on git, but it's quite technical of course, this post here is a condensed version made to be read by non technical users, well I guess I could add a cumulative changelog file in the archive, but it would require to maintain it separately and writing docs is really not what I prefer. Now it's an open project, if someone wants to help...

• Like 1

Hello Tux! Thank you so much for this new release.

I finally had some time to make some tests and report here in the forum. Unfortunately there are still some remaining issues in the window manager. I'll list them below:

1) If you are in floating window mode and toggle full-screen mode, when you return to the desktop environment Raine window will be uncentered. Take a look:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QaQ2z1I3ht6dYasK_ZLuCF6y5JH9xNys/view?usp=sharing

Edit: I forgot to mention that the original window size is also lost.

2) I think this is a new issue I found: if you toggle full-screen mode by using the option in the video options the game picture will be different than using Alt+Enter. It will have bigger black bezels around the picture in right, left and above the screen. Take a look:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ivq0o-5zTLFK4uyIRSUpDrBXx6klPJp4/view?usp=sharing

Pay attention that during the video options menu the game picture is displayed correctly in full-screen, but then when you leave the GUI it will present those bezel issues. Interesting... 🤔

That's it for this fast report. Hopefully you will be able to fix these last issues once and for all. I also miss being able to toggle full-screen mode from a maximized window state. Maybe one day you could re-enable that feature...

Anyway, thank you so much in advance for your work. 👍

PS: I also second ffman1985's opinion on repositioning the IPS option in the main menu. That's one of the reasons why I suggested returning it to the game selection menu, since it is minimally used by the user most of the times. FBNeo also places this feature in the game selection menu. I also think it would let the main menu more organized with hiding less used options and displaying only more important functions.

Edited by mer-curious

Ok, I'll move this anywhere else. Since I use raine menu on the keyboard I don't care where the commands are, I just type the 1st characters of the command all the time.

For your windows, sorry you are the only one complaining about that, and I am done playing with this, it will remain like that until I feel like playing with these super stupid things again, or decide to remove entierly this because it clearly looks like it wasn't such a good idea to add this after all. Raine is an emulator, not a window manager !

Moved preload ips dat files just below change/load game.

Hello Tux! I feel that those remaining issues in the window manager are similar to the ones I experienced using the maximized window mode. So maybe if/when you fix them we could probably have the maximized window full-screen toggle back.

Thank you so much again for your work.

• 2 months later...

Hello Tux! I've pulled a little request on Github to update Samurai Shodown 2 Perfect Edition to the latest version according to the FBNeo repository. Please check it and see if everything is right.

Aside from that, it's been a little difficult to use Raine lately because of the remaining bugs in window manager in Windows, especially the first one I mentioned in this thread. I change from full-screen to windowed mode frequently so it's not so user friendly to have to move and resize the window in order to use the program after leaving full-screen. The second bug I reported is a new issue and it will only show when using the full-screen option in the GUI.

Anyway, hopefully you will fix these too some day...

Finally, sometimes I have the impression my records keep being overwritten in NeoGeo even though I have selected the per-game save option. I'll see if I can reproduce it safely in order to file a bug report for you to check it.

Thank you so much for your work.

PS: it seems archive.org is down due to a hack attack. If it doesn't work for you to get the updated roms for samsho2pe, you could try to get them from retroroms.info. It requires a quick registration though. Otherwise I can upload the changed files for you.

Edited by mer-curious

Sorry for your bugs, I told you it was all a bad idea and I wanted to remove all this crap in the last version, you refused, too bad !

Now most people don't change the video mode often so I don't think there is a lot of people who has any problem with that except you !

And sorry but I don't plan to make any update on this front any time soon, although I committed some small change lately because I found a problem in galaxian when in debug mode, but only in debug mode !

For the git commit, it's just to avoid a warning, a single click or the press of the esc key should be enough, but I accepted the commit anyway, but you'll have to learn how to make your own version if you want a binary here, it's not complicated, you don't need to know how to write C code to compile it.

Thanks for the retroroms.info info (!), I used it to check your patch works, I confirm it does. archive.org should be back to normal very soon now, it was already announced a few days ago, probably for this week then...

Now I have read the hackers who did that were pretty crazy, it was to protest against the usa, archive.org is free, but they say it's American, so it's evil... ! I didn't think there was a big security hole in archive.org, but you don't always get this kind of rights because of a security hole... anyway they said they took their time to reinforce the security of archive.org so it will come back better than ever ! (sorry lost the link about all that, it was from slashdot).

The latest part of this story : https://it.slashdot.org/story/24/10/20/1733227/internet-archive-users-start-receiving-email-from-some-random-guy-criticizing-unpatched-hole

On 10/20/2024 at 3:27 PM, Tux said:

Sorry for your bugs, I told you it was all a bad idea and I wanted to remove all this crap in the last version, you refused, too bad !

Now most people don't change the video mode often so I don't think there is a lot of people who has any problem with that except you !

Hello Tux! Thanks for the fast reply!

I think the window manager feature was a nice addition all in all and it is working fine, except for the two issues I reported in this thread. They are quite easy to reproduce in Windows, maybe not in Linux? But if you could try to program in Windows maybe it would be easier to fix them...?

Now if it becomes something impossible to resolve then I also agree that they could be removed, even though this would mean discarding hours of work you put into it.

For the git commit, it's just to avoid a warning, a single click or the press of the esc key should be enough, but I accepted the commit anyway, but you'll have to learn how to make your own version if you want a binary here, it's not complicated, you don't need to know how to write C code to compile it.

Thanks for accepting the code in the project!

No problem, I can wait for a next release.

I was wondering if you have ever thought of a build bot for Raine... This is what most emulators do nowadays so users can experience the most recent changes in the code without waiting for an official versioning release.

Thanks for the retroroms.info info (!), I used it to check your patch works, I confirm it does. archive.org should be back to normal very soon now, it was already announced a few days ago, probably for this week then...

Yes, I was also surprised to see the site was down. I thought first it had something to do with Nintendo and their hunt for Switch emulators, but then it was apparently a hack attack as you said...

Anyway, thank you again for your time and work.

Yeah all this because they forgot a credential in an open server and it stayed there for years until this stupid group decided to use it... Millions of credentials stolen after that, what a mess... ! Anyway, I guess it should be fixed soon now. For switch emulation those interested kept the binaries already, and suyu is still maintained.

I might take a look at your window problem later at least to check if it's so easy to fix, but I doubt it.
edit : of course it doesn't happen in linux, at least not in window maker which I use. Now seeing why this stupid windoze broke things again will take more time, so maybe later !

• Like 1

The forum seems mostly broken, I can edit the previous message but not post the changes ! so here is the last part :

edit2 : for the 1 there is a quick fix indeed, just don't try to position or scale the window when exiting fullscreen in windows. Now I didn't test this thoroughly, it just works in the case no config file -> fullscreen -> windowed mode.

For the 2nd case, I don't have it, don't know what you did with your parameters, and I don't really want to know neither.

Here is a very last build just to close this for good, and no I didn't experiment with automatic builds because it would be messy to build the 32 bit version probably, might be possible for the 64 bits version only but it takes time to check this.

http://raine.1emulation.com/archive/tux/raine.7z (it replaces a previous raine.7z from 2022).

• Like 1