Raine 0.96.12 : the revenge of ffman1985 !

Tux

18 hours ago, Tux said:

edit2 : for the 1 there is a quick fix indeed, just don't try to position or scale the window when exiting fullscreen in windows. Now I didn't test this thoroughly, it just works in the case no config file -> fullscreen -> windowed mode.

Hello Tux! Thanks a lot for this fix and thanks for providing a preview build.

I tested it here and it indeed fixed issue number 1!

18 hours ago, Tux said:

For the 2nd case, I don't have it, don't know what you did with your parameters, and I don't really want to know neither.

I understand, issue number 2 seems more complicated indeed. I can still reproduce it even with the preview build you provided above.

Here is how I do it: in a new installation of Raine (without raine.cfg file), load a game and enable full-screen in the GUI. You should see thick black bezels around the screen, more noticeable in the top. See a comparison here:

Full-screen mode through Alt+Enter (normal bezels):

boAUWjV.png

Full-screen mode through GUI option (thick bezels in top, left and right of the screen; bottom seems normal):

oDwK6QX.png

Aside from that, I've noticed that if you leave full-screen mode through the GUI option the window will be uncentered again and the full-screen size will be preserved in windowed mode, see below:

49DvtOR.png

You can see all this happening live in this capture I've just made with the preview build:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T4hwJhWrpnQ1BfjptXQX8ZEzQhU5cId3/

My guessing is that issue number 2 is related to the fact that the full-screen option in the GUI may work differently from the one with Alt+Enter, so the scaling fix that worked for exiting full-screen with Alt+Enter didn't work for exiting full-screen using the GUI option.

Maybe this could help you figure it out once and for all...?

By the way, I think I may have found a new issue in Raine:

I was trying to capture screenshots using the print-screen key in Windows and noticed it is broken. I hit print-screen key to capture something and the result is totally different from what the screen is currently showing, take a look:

Case 1: I hit print-screen key when Cadilacs and Dinossaurs was showing the 3-player demo in the stage, and this is what the capture shows:

a75u2hc.png

I entered full-screen mode using Alt+Enter here, and the capture showed the game logo, not the 3-player demo stage which I was displaying at the time I hit the key. Curiously this capture is also showing thick bezels in top, left and right of the screen, which happens when entering full-screen from the GUI option... Maybe those video issues could be possibly related...?

Case 2: I hit print-screen key when Cadilacs and Dinossaurs was showing the 3-player demo in the stage, and this is the result of the capture:

tOx2mdp.png

This time I entered full-screen mode using the GUI option, and I was also showing the 3-player mode stage demo. Instead I got this capture which is a mixture of GUI and game screen in a smaller resolution...

Anyway, I'm not sure if you were already aware that the print-screen key was broken in Windows, so I decided to report it again since I came across the issue recently. I was trying to capture the difference in the bezels. I ended up playing the videos in a video player in full-screen and then finally using print-screen key to make the captures properly to show you the differences. I'm glad I could think of this solution.

18 hours ago, Tux said:

Here is a very last build just to close this for good, and no I didn't experiment with automatic builds because it would be messy to build the 32 bit version probably, might be possible for the 64 bits version only but it takes time to check this.

http://raine.1emulation.com/archive/tux/raine.7z (it replaces a previous raine.7z from 2022).

Thanks again for the preview build. I believe a build bot would be good for these cases in which you try a fix that needs testing. Even if it worked only for 64 bit versions, it could be useful in the future, especially if/when Raine starts receiving more contributions from different people in different moments.

Thank you so much again for the work put into fixing those window issues. Hopefully this will improve the quality of life of the program.

PS: I am willing to test another preview build if you need.

Edited by mer-curious

Sigh, as I already said, I don't get your black borders in dino ! For info the code to toggle fullscreen from the gui and from keyboard is exactly the same, it's not twice the same code, it's really the same code called from 2 places, and fullscreen from the keyboard is always desktop fullscreen, so I don't know how you got a fullscreen with black borders and 1 without, I can't do it, even in windows. For info here it's always without borders.

Now it took me a while to understand how you could get this maximized window in the middle of the screen while exiting fullscreen from the gui : it's because you used the REAL fullscreen, 1 I should have removed completely since all the game these days use desktop fullscreen anyway, and when you see the insanity in windows you understand why !). So this part I can fix again, it's again some windows insanity : yesterday I just avoided to send 2 commands to place the window and scale it when exiting normal fullscreen in windows. Well if you don't send these 2 commands when exiting REAL fullscreen then you get this maximized window in the middle of the screen ! It doesn't make any sense, I know, this is microsoft's world... ! So I made a workaround by having a variable to keep the previous value of the fullscreen state to decide if I send these 2 commands or not. I made this fix, but it's probably better to remove this real fullscreen mode completely and just don't use it, so far there is no good reason to keep it.

For your print screen game, I don't play this kind of game, print screen is the window way to take a screenshot, if it doesn't work in windows I can't do much about it. The raine's key to take a screenshot is ctrl-S by default but it doesn't work from the gui. The print screen key is not broken for me actually in windows, it did its job correctly last time I tried it, but I am not going to reboot again just to test with dino during its demo mode (typing this mail in linux yeah).

I updated the raine.7z file, get it from the previous link.

edit : I also have the print screen problem, it doesn't seem to like the gui fullscreen mode, oh well... !
a side note about the gui screenshots not working : in the old allegro version and even the sdl1 version, the gui was rendered to a bitmap, and then the bitmap just displayed on screen, so it was very easy to save a screenshot of it.
With sdl2, it's totally different, the game screen is rendered to a special streaming texture which is updated for each frame, and the gui is just drawn on top of it. So there is no single bitmap to get the picture from, that's why I didn't bother to make the screenshot function to work, since the ingame function works, it's enough.
Anyway in linux (using windowmaker here, I didn't try any other window manager though), you can take the screenshot correctly in the same situation, but there's no insanity here like in windows ! Proof :

gui2.png

21 hours ago, Tux said:

Now it took me a while to understand how you could get this maximized window in the middle of the screen while exiting fullscreen from the gui : it's because you used the REAL fullscreen, 1 I should have removed completely since all the game these days use desktop fullscreen anyway, and when you see the insanity in windows you understand why !). So this part I can fix again, it's again some windows insanity : yesterday I just avoided to send 2 commands to place the window and scale it when exiting normal fullscreen in windows. Well if you don't send these 2 commands when exiting REAL fullscreen then you get this maximized window in the middle of the screen ! It doesn't make any sense, I know, this is microsoft's world... ! So I made a workaround by having a variable to keep the previous value of the fullscreen state to decide if I send these 2 commands or not. I made this fix, but it's probably better to remove this real fullscreen mode completely and just don't use it, so far there is no good reason to keep it.

Hello Tux! Thank you again for providing a test build. I tested it here and I no longer have the broken scaled window after leaving full-screen mode from the GUI.

I think I understood what you did. I was activating "full-screen mode (real)" and then leaving this mode, that's how I was producing the broken scaled window issue again. I tried it here with the first test build you provided and it's indeed fixed for "full-screen mode (desktop)" even if enabling and disabling through the GUI.

So it seems all the issues with the window manager are finally gone in Windows?

Now I was wondering if the forbidden function of "maximized window -> full-screen mode" could have also been fixed after these recent changes? If so, the function could be enabled again, no?

21 hours ago, Tux said:

Sigh, as I already said, I don't get your black borders in dino ! For info the code to toggle fullscreen from the gui and from keyboard is exactly the same, it's not twice the same code, it's really the same code called from 2 places, and fullscreen from the keyboard is always desktop fullscreen, so I don't know how you got a fullscreen with black borders and 1 without, I can't do it, even in windows. For info here it's always without borders.

Thank you for your testing. I'm surprised that you couldn't reproduce it there. Here it is very consistent and with every game I try, no matter if it is from CPS1, 2 or NeoGeo.

Thick black bezels with CPS1 game Knights of the Round:

c4UYWw7.png

Normal black bezel:

DE2EmeH.png

Think black bezels with NeoGeo game Art of Fighting:

h3tLa21.png

Normal black bezel:

dH9vG8E.png

It is more difficult to notice in NG games because the game is originally in 4:3, but you can still notice we have a black bezel produced in the top of the screen.

I use here the ever most default options in Raine, I download the zip for the 64 bit version or Raine 0.96.12a, include the required DLLs and do what you see in the video captures (run the game, enable full-screen through the GUI, and then thick bezels appear in top, left and right of the screen).

Maybe you forgot to enable full-screen mode from the GUI option in your testings...?

Expect that, I don't know what could be causing this... I don't have the most recent Nvidia drivers installed, but this is not likely to be the cause I guess...

Hopefully you'll reproduce it eventually as well as you have with the print-screen bug.

21 hours ago, Tux said:

edit : I also have the print screen problem, it doesn't seem to like the gui fullscreen mode, oh well... !

Thank you so much for your testing and thorough explanation. PCXS2 is another emulator in which the print-screen key is broken. I don't know why they haven't fixed it yet since they have a few more contributors than Raine, but maybe it's something with SDL2...?

I think it's nice to have this function working because pressing a dedicated key for that in the keyboard is much more intuitive than learning a screenshot keyboard shortcut for every program you have in the PC. But if it's too difficult to resolve it can be left for another time...

Thank you so much again for your time working on these recent issues and for your attention in the forum.

Maybe it's just a sync problem when you choose the real fullscreen mode, normally these modes have nothing special for sync, but except that...

But anyway knights is a 16:9 game, 384x224 it's 1.71 16:9 being 1.78), but I guess you took care not to use real fullscreen modes here again didn't you ?
Anyway if the scaling parameters are normal it tries to apply the same scaling value to w and h so that at least one dimension takes the whole screen. For knights it's normally the horizontal screen which is full, there is a very thin black border on the top. That's why it's impossible to get a black border around the whole picture here, it's either w or h which is maximized. Unless your super windoze chose a video mode with some sync problem which forces black borders, use desktop fullscreen only, it uses the same sync as the desktop so there should be no black borders, and I really don't understand how you could miss that you were using real fullscreen modes, if you want to do it from windowed mode you have to choose left in the gui... anyway removed soon if I make another binary one day. (or you have something which reports a wrong resolution, I never heard of that).

For the gui screenshot I might be able to add some code to be able to take a screenshot from raine (I guess just make the same keyboard shortcut to work from the gui), but you can't do much for the way windows does things here.

And the reason I disabled maximized -> fullscreen is because it becomes almost impossible to restore the window for maximized state in windows, so it's still the case.

And for the print screen key not working, it might be microsoft's way to try to discourage the use of opengl programs in favor of direct3d, except that it's stupid since if you want to be able to run your program on something else than windows, direct3d is not an option !

edit : another "confidential" binary for you to play with, it recognizes the 1st 2 emulator keyboard controls from any gui dialog, the 1st being screenshot, and the 2nd switch to fullscreen. Which means that poor windows users who can't take a screenshot using the print screen key will now be able to use the standard raine key for that at least ! And you'll be able to switch to/from fullscreen using your chosen key, alt-return by default. By the way real fullscreen is removed. By the way the code to take a screenshot from the gui is shamelessly copied from the old dos allegro version with minimal modifications : png instead of pcx, and calls ogl_save_png in the end to save the picture (same thing as the game drivers). Contrary to the allegro version, you'll get a message box telling you the filename of the screenshot when it's done.

The link is still the same : http://raine.1emulation.com/archive/tux/raine.7z

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tux said:

But anyway knights is a 16:9 game, 384x224 it's 1.71 16:9 being 1.78), but I guess you took care not to use real fullscreen modes here again didn't you ?

Hello Tux! Thanks a lot for your fast reply and for providing another test build.

Yes, I made sure I was using the full-screen (desktop) mode option in the Video Options menu when I took the screenshots. But the thick black bezels also happen with full-screen (real) mode, so I don't think the issue is related to the full-screen (real) mode at all...

I suppose it is related to the GUI or Video Options menu because the thick bezels only show when enabling full-screen mode (either real or desktop) through the GUI. If you enable it by using Alt+Enter, the bezels are normal (as you see in the comparison screens provided in the previous replies).

I've tried here your latest test build and unfortunately the thick borders are still an issue with this version. On the one hand this is bad because the problem is unresolved, on the other it is good because it reveals the full-screen (real) mode is OK, so maybe it could come back. It's a feature that is not very used by people who come here in the forum but it could have its use cases for someone at some context eventually...

I have tried to reproduce this issue in my laptop too and it consistently happens there. In the laptop I have Windows 10 22H2 version and in my desktop 21H2 (the long-term support version). Both machines have Intel processors with Nvidia graphics chips, the laptop is from 10 years ago but the graphics drivers are from 2019 I guess; and my desktop has more recent parts and the graphics drivers are from 2023 (I don't play much PC games so I don't bother updating very often...).

Anyway, if you really followed my instructions on how to reproduce the issue in Windows and you can't really have the thick borders there when enabling full-screen mode through the Video Options menu, then I may need someone else to confirm that the issue is not within my setups. I may send ffman1985 a message and see if he can test that.

Meanwhile the solution is to just use Alt+Enter to avoid the thick bezels, but it would be good in the long-term to have the full-screen options in the Video Options menu working as good as the keyboard short-cut.

If you need more details on how to produce this issue or to test new preview builds, I'll be very happy to help.

17 hours ago, Tux said:

edit : another "confidential" binary for you to play with, it recognizes the 1st 2 emulator keyboard controls from any gui dialog, the 1st being screenshot, and the 2nd switch to fullscreen. Which means that poor windows users who can't take a screenshot using the print screen key will now be able to use the standard raine key for that at least !

Thank you for adding this feature. I tried it here with the latest test build and it's already working, take a look:

wsQxI4Y.png

Now I can take a screenshot in the GUI.

By the way, I've noticed taking this screenshot that when we are showing the Video Options menu the game screen is shown correctly without the thick black borders. You can see in the screenshot above that there are no thick black bezels in the top, left and right of the screen, which should be the correct display of the picture and what happens when we enable full-screen through Alt+Enter. But if we enable it through the Video Options menu, then the thick bezels will strangely show...

Anyway, hopefully you will reproduce this and figure it out eventually...

Thank you so much again for your time and work.

PS: here's a short capture I took to better illustrate the issue commented above:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wPVP-ykHzIpzxOLCJ014Rx4_qqhjE5X5/

Edited by mer-curious

Shortest reply ever : no (for everything)

And I wouldn't have seen these black borders in all that time ? Tsss !!! Ridiculous !

I had fun with my own capture tool, obs because the windows bar is allergic to opengl programs clearly, it's a 16:10 screen, 1680x1050 so you don't get the same ratio as on yours, but you don't get any fucking black border (at least not on the right and on the left) : https://mega.nz/file/XUdCXQYQ#HWL-VxqTM1OGbnosgtW_XCVi4He7mT00rHfmX7yE4UQ

and finally a last build which will display numbers for you each time it calls the function to resize the game screen, it will tell you the resolution (of the window, or the screen if you are in fullscreen), and then x, y, w, h of the game screen. Don't use that as your main raine binary because it's probably annoying to get this message box all the time ! This way you can post just screenshots, if you have a software black border then you should see x > 0 and y > 0 from this function, if one of them is at 0 then everything works normally.

Still the same link : http://raine.1emulation.com/archive/tux/raine.7z

4 hours ago, Tux said:

Shortest reply ever : no (for everything)

Hello Tux! Thanks a lot for your fast reply.

I didn't understand your answer exactly. You mean that you are not going to re-add the real full-screen mode?

4 hours ago, Tux said:

And I wouldn't have seen these black borders in all that time ? Tsss !!! Ridiculous !

Maybe not, because it only happens when you enable full-screen through the Video Options menu, and maybe only in Windows...?

If you use Linux most of the time and set full-screen by using Alt+Enter, the chances to notice the thick borders would be very rare I guess...

As for myself, I only stumbled upon this issue recently when trying to fix all the window manager bugs, which is a feature added recently...

But I haven't tested old versions of Raine to check when this issue was introduced, or if it was always there...

4 hours ago, Tux said:

I had fun with my own capture tool, obs because the windows bar is allergic to opengl programs clearly, it's a 16:10 screen, 1680x1050 so you don't get the same ratio as on yours, but you don't get any fucking black border (at least not on the right and on the left) : https://mega.nz/file/XUdCXQYQ#HWL-VxqTM1OGbnosgtW_XCVi4He7mT00rHfmX7yE4UQ

Yes, you don't have a thick border on the sides of the screen, but you do have one on the top, which I also have in here. Take a look:

XFKk5xt.png

This is from your video capture. It would be necessary to compare this screen with another one using Alt+Enter in your setup to set full-screen mode. If my guesses are correct you should also have a game picture without this thick top border, which is also what happens to me here.

4 hours ago, Tux said:

and finally a last build which will display numbers for you each time it calls the function to resize the game screen, it will tell you the resolution (of the window, or the screen if you are in fullscreen), and then x, y, w, h of the game screen. Don't use that as your main raine binary because it's probably annoying to get this message box all the time ! This way you can post just screenshots, if you have a software black border then you should see x > 0 and y > 0 from this function, if one of them is at 0 then everything works normally.

Thank you for trying to troubleshoot this problem. I downloaded the test build and here is the screenshot for when I am in windowed mode:

X2kR4Ps.png

And here it is when I toggle full-screen in the Video Options:

AxicPEt.png

You see that the CTRL+S feature doesn't work correctly when this "Reclip screen" prompt is showing in full-screen. But from this screenshot we can also notice a thick border in the... bottom? That's why my guessing is that the GUI is interfering with something in the game screen, which would explain why the thick bezels only show when I toggle full-screen using the Video Options menu in the GUI.

Anyway, I have captured a short video showing my testings with this most recent build, take a look:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H_1XOFgp_C51VhbITHQS54_blXaIJKU-/

By the end of the video (around 1'20~1'24) you'll see that I enable full-screen mode using Alt+Enter, and curiously the thick borders will also show in this situation (!). If you pay attention the "Reclip screen" prompt also shows there, so I'm really suspicious that something in the GUI is causing the display to show these thick bezels when we go in the game screen...

Hopefully you will unveil this mystery eventually...

Thank you so much again for your time and work put into this issue.

Edited by mer-curious

You're becoming dumber and dumber here... !

Of course there is a black border on top OR on the sides, re-read what I have told for ages this is the normal behavior !!! When the game screen is scaled the same ratio is applied to the horizontal part and the vertical part, since the ratio of our modern screens don't match what they had for these games most of the time you get a black border somewhere, but it's done to fill at least vertically or horizontally the screen so you can't have both at the same time. There are options in the renderer option to play with this but if you want to keep the original screen ratio you shouldn't touch them.

Of course the ctrl-s can't work correctly when the resolution is displayed, this is a debug feature, it's displayed just before the frame is drawn, you could have guessed that !

And finally for your video : bad choice of  a game : if you play it in a window, you'll notice the top part of the screen remains black during the demo, it's a game which plays with borders on top and on bottom, I guess it's to look like a movie, take a game like bublbobl which is a real 4:3 game. You even saw the prompt telling you the coordinates of your game screen : 63x0, meaning 0 pixels from top and still you could see a black border on top, that's because the game displays it that's all !
And all these posts for nothing then... !

At least I hope you have understood now... ! I think you can delete the build which displays the game screen coordinates it shouldn't be useful after that.