GBA videophone coming to Japan

Alpha

Cam-Pho Advance to allow videophone connection through

the Game Boy Advance; available July 30.

cameraphone_screen001.jpg

TOKYO--Network solutions company Digital Act announced that it will release a new peripheral for the Japanese Game Boy Advance called the Cam-Pho Advance (short for Camera Phone Advance) at the end of July.

The Cam-Pho Advance uses a large game cartridge that comes equipped with an internal microcamera and analog modem, effectively turning the GBA into a videophone. When connected, the screen will show both the user and the person on the other end of the line. Communicating with another user is done with a speaker headphone that connects to the cartridge. The GBA's cross pad and buttons will be used to dial phone numbers and change the device's settings. It was originally going to operate off the battery power from the GBA, but it will now operate with its own AC adapter.

At 19,000 yen ($175), the Cam-Pho costs about one-fifth of the price of an average videophone system in Japan, although the specs are a little lower than average, with a frame rate of only five frames per second. Only 10,000 units of the peripheral will be released on July 30. They will be available only via online order at Digital Act's Web site.

By Hirohiko Niizumi -- GameSpot

POSTED: 07/09/04 11:01 AM PST

----------------------------------------

Looks like Nintendo wants to start copying the N-Gage guys, this is not going to be a smooth road if they start thinking like them. :)

This would only work in Japan. :) I don't think I'd ever see anyone here using one of those things. I've never seen anyone with an N-gage. Looks like you're talking into a taco...

This would only work in Japan.  :) I don't think I'd ever see anyone here using one of those things. I've never seen anyone with an N-gage. Looks like you're talking into a taco...

Lollerskates. I agree, N-Gage's design was flawed to begin with.

these kind of things will only work at japan or hong kong cuz people would spend money on these kind of stuff and there's a lot of followers so if someone have 1 of those cam phone then his/her friends would buy 1. but in da usa there's not enough people that would buy this kind of item and if they're not sold in stores then no 1 will ever know about it.

BTW most cell phones and games and sold in japan and hong kong first, to c if people like them or not. das y we always have to wait 3 years before we get to see da cool stuff.

The latest would be months. Unless a company totally pulls off a Resident Evil (only changing fonts with japanese->english, but everything else is in english).