halo or ut 2004?

I wish Microsoft never engulfed Bungie, Halo was going to be a totally different game. I lost interest in Halo once they said it was becoming and FPS only game for XBOX. Playing it on the XBOX wasn't that fun for me and playing it on the PC made me feel dirty.

You have no idea how many people I've tried to relate this too who've looked at me like I was crazy. Finally someone else who remembers the Halo that never was! I can't even find those old vids anywhere, I wouldn't be entirely suprised if M$ had them "surpressed." What's more, all these XBox fans are wetting themselves over Halo 2, but all of the "exciting new features" they're advertising are shown off in those early, pre-xbox vids. Basically, M$ robbed PC gamers of what was to be an interesting new game and crapped out another mediocre FPS for console fans who weren't used to ignoring them on the shelves.

:flame::lol:

And now for the On-Topic:

Bias aside, my vote goes for UT2004. It has basically everything Halo has, but more of it. More weapons, maps, vehicles, etc. They tend to be a little more varied in their execution as well. It also has a lot of potential for variety with Mutators and user made mods (check out "Swarm," for example).

Also, if you don't mind a historical setting and you haven't tried them yet, you might check out one of the games in the Battlefield series (1942 or Vietnam). The single player isn't so hot, but the multiplayer is excellent and it's a similar kind of FPS w/vehicles combat.

Theres a video floating around called "The Evolution of Halo."

Showing off what it looked like from Mac World 99 till E3 2001.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish Microsoft never engulfed Bungie, Halo was going to be a totally different game. I lost interest in Halo once they said it was becoming and FPS only game for XBOX. Playing it on the XBOX wasn't that fun for me and playing it on the PC made me feel dirty.

You have no idea how many people I've tried to relate this too who've looked at me like I was crazy. Finally someone else who remembers the Halo that never was! I can't even find those old vids anywhere, I wouldn't be entirely suprised if M$ had them "surpressed." What's more, all these XBox fans are wetting themselves over Halo 2, but all of the "exciting new features" they're advertising are shown off in those early, pre-xbox vids. Basically, M$ robbed PC gamers of what was to be an interesting new game and crapped out another mediocre FPS for console fans who weren't used to ignoring them on the shelves.

And now for the On-Topic:

Bias aside, my vote goes for UT2004. It has basically everything Halo has, but more of it. More weapons, maps, vehicles, etc. They tend to be a little more varied in their execution as well. It also has a lot of potential for variety with Mutators and user made mods (check out "Swarm," for example).

Also, if you don't mind a historical setting and you haven't tried them yet, you might check out one of the games in the Battlefield series (1942 or Vietnam). The single player isn't so hot, but the multiplayer is excellent and it's a similar kind of FPS w/vehicles combat.

Theres a video floating around called "The Evolution of Halo."

Showing off what it looked like from Mac World 99 till E3 2001.

Looks like you can get it here

You have no idea how many people I've tried to relate this too who've looked at me like I was crazy.  Finally someone else who remembers the Halo that never was!  I can't even find those old vids anywhere, I wouldn't be entirely suprised if M$ had them "surpressed."  What's more, all these XBox fans are wetting themselves over Halo 2, but all of the "exciting new features" they're advertising are shown off in those early, pre-xbox vids.  Basically, M$ robbed PC gamers of what was to be an interesting new game and crapped out another mediocre FPS for console fans who weren't used to ignoring them on the shelves.   

There aren't that many people like us around, so sad. Nice to know you share the same view. :)

ah yes, and now Micro$oft's new best friend (read software biatch) Rare's going to do the same thing for Perfect Dark... :flame:

I remember when i first popped Perfect Dark into my n64.  I had been out of the gaming loop for some time so the game made a huge impression on me.  I know im inviting a flamewar, but that warm and sticky feeling i got from playing it makes it the best FPS ever in my book. 

Oh, and not to get too off topic, for Jiang:  ut2004.  smack yourself and say 'duh'!

Heck, if it wasn't for perfect dark I probably wouldn't be playing FPS games now.

What a great game... it has the best bot mode that even FPS games these days cannot even come close to.

Such a good mixture of baddass weapons, bloody firefight and great replayability.

The "dizzy" effect kinda gets on my nerves though.

I'll be Halo's singular proponent on this issue. I own both UT2k4 and Halo and I have to say I favor Halo. I appreciate Halo's pacing, while it is deliberately slower and it does grant the game a more tactical feel. I enjoy the dynamic afforded to the game by needing to reload your weapon and finding cover while your shields recharge. UT is awesome but I still wish they would bring back the enforcers from the original UT. Although I must admit that the double jump and wall jump abilities imbue UT with more of an adrenaline rush feeling.

Theres a mutor to use the Enforcers. I was a fan of them too, but I've come to liking the Dual Assault, weak as hell, rifle.

I checked out the atari fourms, and a 2 guys are bring classic stuff from UT to UT2k4 with their mutors. I don't have the link anymore, but I might have the beta mutor for the Enforcers somewhere. I'm not sure.

Theres a mutor to use the Enforcers. I was a fan of them too, but I've come to liking the Dual Assault, weak as hell, rifle.

I beat the 5 five levels in the UT's deathmatch single player just with Dual Enforcers. It was so awesome. :P