Sweden bans consoles in prison

Alpha

The Swedish prison service has banned PlayStations and other gaming systems in its prisons, according to reports in the Swedish press. The Internet connectivity and inherent unmonitored communication in the current generation of consoles proved to be too much of a security risk, officials said.

"To a certain extent, these games are harmless, but with some technical skills, they can be used for communication," the head of prison security Christer Isaksson told the Sydsvenska Dagbladet newspaper.

Some reports claim that some inmates had built small mobile telephones into the sides of their consoles. Furthermore, prison officials worry that prisoners are using memory cards to disseminate information to the outside world.

The move is a result of recent calls for better security at Swedish prisons. Two separate jailbreaks occurred at high-security prisons in the last two weeks. Both saw long-term prisoners aided by outside assistance. In one case, an entire carful of armed accomplices facilitated the escape of an inmate. All fugitives have since been captured.

By Benjamin Golze -- GameSpot

POSTED: 08/13/04 01:51 PM PST

Credits: http://gamespot.com

=============================

I didn't even know they had Playstation in Prison! :angry:

they prob have ps's in jails in the US too...and Australia. Prison would still suck huge amount of balls though.

PS when I first started reading this article I thought it was another video-games-turning-people-violent story. Especially when a riot was mentioned. Anyone else think similarly?

Edited by random guy

they prob have ps's in jails in the US too...and Australia. Prison would still suck huge amount of balls though.

PS when I first started reading this article I thought it was another video-games-turning-people-violent story. Especially when a riot was mentioned. Anyone else think similarly?

Games Don't Make People Violent!

TAKING THEM AWAY DOES!!

Now I Wonder How It's Gonna Be, And It's A Max Security Prison... ISOLATION...

Looks like our neighbors made a groundbreaking change... not. Damn swedes, I didn't know the had the brains to start making communication devices from consoles. HAND.

Edited by Agozer

You never know what they are really can do with little things on their side. Watch out for them though. Seemingly they are very dangerous in prison.

PlayStation in prison? lol..... They're given too much freedom in prison though, unlike in my country that is.