EA cashes in big on The Sims 2

Alpha

File this one under "the rich get richer." Electronic Arts announced today that The Sims 2 has sold more than 1 million copies at retail stores worldwide in its first 10 days on the shelves, making it the biggest PC title launch in the company's 22 years.

"The Sims franchise has become a cultural phenomenon and The Sims 2 is a game that changes the way we think about our industry," Frank Gibeau, senior VP of marketing for EA, said in a statement released today. Gibeau went on to comment that of the 1 million units sold, more than 50 percent of those were sold in Europe.

Be sure to check out GameSpot's review of The Sims 2.

By Chris Kohler -- GameSpot

POSTED: 09/27/04 03:04 PM PST

Credits: http://GameSpot.com

-----------------------------------------

I remember playing The Sims back in 2000. Luckily, I never bought an expansion. :P

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't played Sims 2 yet (I need to get myself a job again before I can get it.. sort of ironic..), but the first one was hideously addicting. At first I thought it was just a screw around game but there is some serious strategy in being succesful. AND it's fun to screw around in.

As fun as it is, it's an extremely materialistic game. The Ikea Game, you might call it. :P In a way, that's disturbing (especially when I see kids swoon over this game), but it's so much fun I'm lulled into complacence.

Edited by Daeval

I never get addicted with this game.

Although I have all the flocking expansions (thanks to my brother).

It just seems boring, watching the little men move around.

Now, if only they add the feature to squash all those men :(

You can't squash them, but you CAN make a guy who looks mysteriously like Steve Buscemi and have him invite them over, and then trap them in a small room without food in his backyard until they starve to death. Then you can put the urn with their ashes in it next to the others in his dining room.

If you want to read some funny Sims 2 stuff, you should check out this recent Something Awful feature. It's hilarious. :(

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2392

Yeah, I was gonna mention that. Wasn't it great? The ability to be serial killer and get pregnant is (for me at least) a welcome addition to the sims 2.